Author Topic: Does PM support Sony Alpha 7 III RAW Files?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline junova

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Does PM support Sony Alpha 7 III RAW Files?
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:12:21 PM »
Hello,

I tested PM in February, it worked well,  and decided to buy the program in April '18.
But, in March I switched to Sony Alpha 7 III, and I'm not sure if PM supports the RAWs from this camera...
Actually would be good to test with Sony Alpha 7 III again, but it is not possible any more.

I could not find any list of supported cameras on the website.

Thank you for answer!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Does PM support Sony Alpha 7 III RAW Files?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:00:20 PM »
Hello,

I tested PM in February, it worked well,  and decided to buy the program in April '18.
But, in March I switched to Sony Alpha 7 III, and I'm not sure if PM supports the RAWs from this camera...
Actually would be good to test with Sony Alpha 7 III again, but it is not possible any more.

I could not find any list of supported cameras on the website.

PM supports any RAW format that has an embedded JPEG preview.  The Sony ARW format does have an embedded preview but it is unfortunately a low resolution preview.  So PM shows you what Sony provides.  It is not full resolution.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:40:46 AM »
I can confirm PM works just fine with Sony A7III (and A7RIII) photos with the mentioned restriction - the preview JPG the Sony camera provides is a low resolution one so it is sometimes hard to judge if a picture is sharp or not and I couldn't find any way to change this in the camera.
However the 4K videos don't play for me in PM. they just show up as unknown files and PM can't even rename or perform any other action on them.

Also when downloading (ingesting) 4K videos of the A7III with PM some of the videos get sorted into a folder with a wrong date. (I ingest into folders using both date variables and file formats to sort material into different folders upon download). I usually download the stuff daily still some of the videos get downloaded into a folder with a date from days before it was recorded yet creation date shows the actual recording date. I don't know if it is a Sony or PM or what else problem.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:17:58 AM »
I don't own an A7RIII, but I do shoot with an A7RII.  I shoot RAW+JPG so I have decent sized previews to work with in PM.

Offline dennislinden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
I have the Riii and can confirm that when you shoot ARW ONLY, the JPEG preview files are very very low quality. I have incidentally also found that the ARW developer you use has significant impact on the final files. The SONY EDIT program actually gives me much better TIFF files than most of the other usual suspects. Not needed really unless your final target is a large print, but I suggest serious printers will want to experiment and see for themselves.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 07:31:25 AM »
I also have problem with the MP4 videos of the a7III. PM doesn't display them it cannot even rename or add IPTC to them like it can with the MOV files of Canon cameras or the MP4 files of GoPro cameras. Is this normal or is it only my problem?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com