Author Topic: PM 4.6.4 slow on Mac 10.6.3 - Beachball Problem  (Read 2512 times)

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
PM 4.6.4 slow on Mac 10.6.3 - Beachball Problem
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:33 AM »
Hi there after upgrading to PM 4.6.4 everything seems really slow. After giving a color tag to the files it takes really long to choose them.

I see the spinning beachball for 20 seconds.

With 16bit Tiffs it take really long.

What should I do. Delete the prefs ? Giving more cache ? What is the max ??? I Have 9 GB RAM !!!

All the best

Dirk, Berlin, Germany

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.4 slow on Mac 10.6.3 - Beachball Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »
Dirk,

Hi there after upgrading to PM 4.6.4 everything seems really slow. After giving a color tag to the files it takes really long to choose them.

I see the spinning beachball for 20 seconds.

With 16bit Tiffs it take really long.

What should I do. Delete the prefs ? Giving more cache ? What is the max ??? I Have 9 GB RAM !!!

I have no suggestions for you since I don't know where the time is being spent.  But there is a way for you to measure and let me know where the time is being spent.  First run the 'Activity Monitor' application which can be found in the Utilities folder of your Application folder.  Then launch Photo Mechanic.  Look for Photo Mechanic in the list of applications in the Activity Monitor window.  Double-click on the Photo Mechanic item in the list.  A new window will open listing details about Photo Mechanic.  Look in the lower left corner for a button named 'Sample'.   You'll be clicking on that button to find out where the time is being spent in Photo Mechanic.  Switch back to Photo Mechanic and perform the color tag operation and quickly switch back to the Activity Monitor and press the Sample button.  It will generate a text file.  Let me know when you've done this and I'll get you an email address to send the information to.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
Re: PM 4.6.4 slow on Mac 10.6.3 - Beachball Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »
Dear Kirk, I did that ! Where should I send the documents ?
Kind regards

Dirk