Author Topic: PM's learning curve  (Read 3438 times)

Offline John Hawkinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM's learning curve
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Hi, Kirk, et al.

I just helped a colleague caption several hundred photos in PhotoMechanic for the first time, and there were a bunch of places where she had trouble. I'm not the most experienced PM user myself, but watching her, I realize that there a bunch of places where PM could become more user friendly and easier to use, or at least easier to recover from a newbie mistake. I think this is probably best placed in Feature Requests, but maybe it should be in Support?

(It's also possible we weren't using the optimal workflow.)

This was PM 4.6.2.1 under OSX 10.6.3. We began by ingesting photos and applying a stationary pad to all photos at that time, and opening that contact sheet. Then selecting ranges of contiguous photos, applying an IPTC Stationary Pad to them to set general captions and keywords, and then  hitting 'i' and editing the final caption, and moving to the next photo with Cmd-].

The first confusing thing is that the IPTC Stationary Pad (Cmd-I) and the IPTC Info window (plain 'i') are very similar looking, but they behave in really different ways. That means that it's not always obvious what's going to happen, and users' expectations easily get violated, leading to frustration. It would be great if there was a way to make them more visually distinct, but I'm not sure what that would be...(Maybe in the future when it gets acknowledged that metadata might not at all be IPTC, and renaming them happens, they could not start with the same word, as well as being somehow visually identifyable...)

1. When you have the IPTC Info window open, clicking "Apply Stationary Pad" wipes out any changes you have just typed into the window. But when you have the IPTC Stationary Pad open, "Apply Stationary to Selected" applies what you have just typed to the selected photos. It would be nice if these were not both called "Apply" and maybe the buttons were in different places or something.

2. If you're going about this wrong, and have opened IPTC Info and typed in a caption, if you click "Apply," your work is lost irretrievably. Can you make Cmd-Z/Undo work here? It would be great to recover from this, instead of saying, "Oh well, lost all that typing, no way to get it back!"

3. With multiple photos in the contact sheet selected, you can't hit 'i' to open the IPTC Info window. This makes sense, because IPTC Info only lets you change a photo. But the user can still click on the 'i' icon (lower left of the image in the contact sheet) and then it's not obvious whether the changes are going to be made to the single photo (what actually happens) or the selected range of photos (what the user might have hoped for). Note that this behavior may also differ from a user's expectation because in Adobe Bridge, when you select multiple photos, changes made in the Metadata pane apply to all photos selected.

4. This machine has two monitors, so the preview window opens in one monitor and the contact sheet in the other. While browsing the contact sheet, it's very easy to open the preview window and then get frustrated that you cannot change the range of selected photos in the contact sheet without closing the preview window. I don't know if it would be a good idea for the preview window to not be a modal dialog, but the current state definitely causes confusion.

5. My colleague entered a 2ndary sort key of {timesortl} as a typo for {timesort}, and we couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. If there was some validation of variables, that would be handy!

6. The "Variables..." button in the sort window (and elsewhere) is quite helpful, but it doesn't give quite enough information. For instance, what's the difference between {time} and {timesort}? If the Variables... window provided an example next to each variable (e.g:
second59
time2:48:59 PM
timesort144859
) that would sure be helpful. In fact, even the PM Help doesn't explain {time} versus {timesort}. It seemed obvious to me that sorting on {timesort} was a better idea, but it didn't occur to my colleague...she is not a programmer.

6(b). My colleague had trouble with the Variables... window. It's organized with hieararchy, and the Camera section comes first. But if you don't realize there's a hierarchy, you look through these variables and get to the end and never find the one you're looking for (in this case, date/time). Could there be some visual clue to indicate there is more to the hierarchy? One (probably bad) way would be to have it list the headings with triangles (or plus signs?) next to them, so the user would have to click/keyboard to open the subhierarchy. Also, once she scrolled down past Camera to Time, her first inclination was to choose one near the top that looked right, like {date} or even {second}, instead of scrolling down to find {time}. I'm not sure how to solve this. Obviously putting the "more likely to be useful" variables ahead could work, but that might be really subjective (people might disagree), and it might make it hard to find a variable alphabetically.

7. With the IPTC Stationary Pad open, you can't go to Help > Photo Mechanic Help. So to figure out what these variables do, you have to close the ISP, open the PM Help, and then reopen the ISP. Awkwardly cumbersome... Oh wow...clicking on the variable name shows you the definition of the variable in the window above? I completely didn't see this, because I never clicked on the variable name, I just scrolled through looking. How could that be made discoverable? Maybe if the variable definition window started out with some canned text in it, instead of being blank: "Click on a variable name to see its definition" or somesuch?

8. This one's me. I find I want to open a folder in a contact sheet, and I navigate to that folder and inadvertantly open it's parent folder in the contact sheet. I get an empty contact sheet that shows me nothing, because all of the contents are subfolders. Is there some reason the contact sheet doesn't display subfolders as icons and let me click on them to open that subfolder in the same contact sheet?

9. The IPTC Info keyboard shortcuts of Cmd-[ and Cmd-] are hard to discover. You can mouseover the "Save & <-" button and get a tooltip, but unless you think to do that (which most people don't!), you never realize there are key command. I'm not sure if there is enough space to add the keyboard shortcuts in or next to the buttons, but if there is, I think it would help a lot of people learning PM.

10. In IPTC Info, if you hold down Option, the default "OK" checkbox changes to "Eval," but it is still highlighted blue. Hitting Option-RETURN seems to do nothing, which is counterintuitive. I would expect it to execute Eval, but it doesn't. (is there a key combination?)

I think that's about it. A lot of this stuff, of course, could be figured out by reading the manual, but new and casual users often don't want do that. And the confusion between IPTC Stationary Pad and IPTC Info can still remain, even after you do that. I know I still click the wrong "Apply" button sometimes and lose a caption I spent a while thinking of.

Hopefully this is usefully constructive feedback and it doesn't just sound like me ranting!

Thanks for a great product!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM's learning curve
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
John,

Thanks for the feedback and insights.  We'll consider your suggestions.

Please upgrade to version 4.6.4 since you're using Mac OS X 10.6.x as it is the most compatible version for Snow Leopard.  The update is free for all 4.6.x users.

-Kirk

Offline John Hawkinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
Thanks, Kirk! Already done! (I assure you, I felt the guilt of posting about an older version, and read over the release notes first to make sure none of this had changed.)

The only excuse I can offer is that this machine with PM isn't maintained by me and, well... I'm trying to get them to use PM instead of Bridge, but they are...resistant.

Anything I can do to make any of this easier for you? Or, alternatively, any suggestions from you about how to make this workflow speedier/easier?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
Wow, that's a good list of excellent user/usability feedback! Sure Kirk et al can do something with it.

Regarding 8, this feature has been requested before (not even that long ago), I hope this one can get implemented too. Have a look at http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4872.msg23131#msg23131

Regarding 9, isn't hovering over a button the normal way to get the short-cut or some other short help? This way at least sounded very intuitive to me an I use it everywhere (doesn't work everywhere of course) :D

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline John Hawkinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Thanks, Hayo.

In re 8, that thread is interesting...I will toss my thoughts over there.

In re 9, yes, a tooltip when you hover-over is definitely the way to find a shortcut. The problem here is that small buttons don't have an affordance for hovering. That is, users don't think to hover over the button, so never discover there's a shortcut. A colleague suggested to me that one helpful approach is to lower the initial tooltip delay for those buttons.

Just goofing around, under OSX, I can do that with:

Code: [Select]
defaults write com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 250
which drops the time from about 2 seconds to a quarter second. This seems much better. And since OSX doesn't repeat the tooltip after you click the button (unless you move off of it), it's not terribly annoying. I'm not sure 250ms is the right timing, but I think it's an improvement. I'll try to test it on some {unsuspecting?} users and see how it goes. (I suspect I could narrow the specification to not affect all of PM, but I don't know offhand how to do that....)

I still think the UI would benefit from direct labeling of the keybindings next to those buttons, but this is a start.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
I still think the UI would benefit from direct labeling of the keybindings next to those buttons, but this is a start.

NO WAY! As it is now, as a master of all obscure PM keyboard shortcuts, I can file away minutes before my colleagues from other agencies, and you would take that competitive edge from me to give it to the masses?

//tongue in cheek// ;-)