Author Topic: ingest  (Read 4132 times)

Offline fearless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ingest
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:32:03 AM »
hello - am running version 4.6.3 on PC XP and when ingesting would like the time/date beside each file to be the capture time/date of each shot in lieu of the time/date the card is ingested when viewed in windows explorer.    Is this possible?  tnx

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: ingest
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:38 AM »
What you see in the explorer is the file modification date/time. There are also date/times for creation date/time and last access date/time you could choose to show those too, but I doubt you really get what you want this way. Of course you could use PM's Tools|Adjust Date & Time to alter the modification time of the files, but every time you make alterations to the file, the file will get a new timestamp…

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline fearless

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »
I have creation time checked in folder options for explorer.   When I use other download products the capture time/date is the only date which shows up.  I dont know why PM shows the ingest date.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »
Ah, I see.

My guess is your other software does not modify the files when they ingest. PM does, it adds some information to the metadata (Kirk: is this true even if you ingest without applying an IPTC/XMP stationary? I think so, but I'm not 100% sure).

There is a preference inside PM that allows you to "update creation time of photos with capture time during copy or ingest", this does set the creation time to the capture time, the modification time is still set to the moment of the last change to the file though.

Perhaps there should be an option to set the modification time to the capture time as well… (feature request?)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »
No, because modification time is exactly that. Modification time, time the file was last modified, accessed. Breaking that could break all kind of things like automatic backup software et cetera. It would be a hack. Even more, every time another software accessed your file (even just to display the photo, or even rename or copy it in Explorer), modification time would be changed. Option in PM you mentioned "update creation time of photos with capture time during ingest..." should work, and Explorer should sort the photos right. I wouldn't ever sort by modification time unless it was something like work in progress versioning folder. I am on Mac, so I can't check it, but on Mac it works exactly like that - with the option set so, the creation time is the capture time, even in Finder (equivalent of windows Explorer)

Offline John Hawkinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:07:12 AM »
That's not right. "Access time" and "Modification time" are different things (and different from creation time). Creation time is the time the file was created. Modification time is the time it was last written to. Access time is the time it was last read from.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
hello - am running version 4.6.3 on PC XP and when ingesting would like the time/date beside each file to be the capture time/date of each shot in lieu of the time/date the card is ingested when viewed in windows explorer.    Is this possible?  tnx

Yes.  If you want to see a file's creation date in WinXP Explorer after the file is ingested by PM and sort your files in PM by capture time - in PM check "Update creation time with capture time during ingest" in Preferences/Files.  Then in Explorer, right click on the Column headings bar and check Date Created.  You can display Date Modified, Date Created and/or Date Accessed in Explorer.  If you only want Date Created, uncheck the other options.

Regards

Bill Wood