Author Topic: Main Window "Data Panel"  (Read 4797 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Main Window "Data Panel"
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:46 PM »

In the Main Window (Contact Sheet window) we have the

- Thumbnail area
- Favorites Panel
- Navigator Panel

I would LOVE to have (what I’m calling) a DATA PANEL.

Currently, yes, I can hover a thumbnail and click on the “ i ” to bring up the IPTC information for that picture, scroll, scroll, scroll, find what I want, close the IPTC window, try to remember what it was I looked up.

Or... hover a thumbnail and click on the magnifying glass, or double click the thumbnail, to bring up the Preview for that picture, where I can see the Info I have configured to appear, try to remember what I saw (arrgghhh) then close that back down.

Oh, how I would LOVE to be able to configure a DATA PANEL into the Main Window ! ! !

-Use “variables” to populate the window with the information that I want.
-And it’s just THERE, as I click from thumbnail to thumbnail, WITHOUT ME HAVING TO GO FETCH IT!

I guess this would not be too different, in principle, from the Thumbnail “Labels” under each thumbnail, except that they are SO tiny and limited.

With a Data Panel that I could configure up somewhere (bottom of window, seems to me), you’d really be free to put whatever you wanted, even an actual bit of text of an IPTC field, say.

Again, you just click from thumbnail to thumbnail, looking, comparing information as you go by just scanning with your eyes, without having to pack a lunch and go somewhere to find something out and then come back.

Don’t that seem like the cat’s meoww to y’all?

Best regards,

James

P.S. If I can do this NOW and have just not been able to see the forrest for the trees, please move this to support, tell me, and I’ll say “sorry ‘bout that” and “thanks”!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Main Window "Data Panel"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:33 AM »
James,

In the Main Window (Contact Sheet window) we have the

- Thumbnail area
- Favorites Panel
- Navigator Panel

I would LOVE to have (what I’m calling) a DATA PANEL.

Currently, yes, I can hover a thumbnail and click on the “ i ” to bring up the IPTC information for that picture, scroll, scroll, scroll, find what I want, close the IPTC window, try to remember what it was I looked up.

Or... hover a thumbnail and click on the magnifying glass, or double click the thumbnail, to bring up the Preview for that picture, where I can see the Info I have configured to appear, try to remember what I saw (arrgghhh) then close that back down.

Oh, how I would LOVE to be able to configure a DATA PANEL into the Main Window ! ! !

-Use “variables” to populate the window with the information that I want.
-And it’s just THERE, as I click from thumbnail to thumbnail, WITHOUT ME HAVING TO GO FETCH IT!

I guess this would not be too different, in principle, from the Thumbnail “Labels” under each thumbnail, except that they are SO tiny and limited.

With a Data Panel that I could configure up somewhere (bottom of window, seems to me), you’d really be free to put whatever you wanted, even an actual bit of text of an IPTC field, say.

Again, you just click from thumbnail to thumbnail, looking, comparing information as you go by just scanning with your eyes, without having to pack a lunch and go somewhere to find something out and then come back.

P.S. If I can do this NOW and have just not been able to see the forrest for the trees, please move this to support, tell me, and I’ll say “sorry ‘bout that” and “thanks”!

Use the View menu.  Turn on the 'Info Tooltips'.  Now when you hover over a thumbnail, the info text will be shown.  You don't have to click at all.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
James,

Use the View menu.  Turn on the 'Info Tooltips'.  Now when you hover over a thumbnail, the info text will be shown.  You don't have to click at all.

-Kirk

Kirk,

If it was a snake it would have bit me!

- I turned on Info Tool Tips
- Edited my Info Panel with a {variable} to include an IPTC field that I routinely type PARAGRAPHS and PARAGRAPHS into (sort of like a Journal entry about some of my photos)
- And, son of a gun, the little fly-out Tool Tip panel displays The Full Monty.

I do still argue, though, in favor of my Data Panel because I find the Info Tool Tips fly-out widow distracting (jittery and busy) and always getting in the way (which is why you allow it to be “defeated”?)

I must admit though that I was, previously, somehow managing not to SEE that the Info Panel was very similar to my Data Panel, exactly the same actually in terms of content and how it uses {variables}

So now, I guess, I would revise my request to be:
Could the Info Panel be made just a tad more flexible still?
Right now it appears in the Preview Window or if desired as an Info Tool Tip fly-out panel.
Could it be made also to function as a permanent Panel on the Main Window?
Or as a floating palette?

To me that would be better than either of the other two current options.
Or... rather, and better put, it would be an excellent compliment to the other two.

Possible?

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
James,

If it was a snake it would have bit me!

- I turned on Info Tool Tips
- Edited my Info Panel with a {variable} to include an IPTC field that I routinely type PARAGRAPHS and PARAGRAPHS into (sort of like a Journal entry about some of my photos)
- And, son of a gun, the little fly-out Tool Tip panel displays The Full Monty.

I do still argue, though, in favor of my Data Panel because I find the Info Tool Tips fly-out widow distracting (jittery and busy) and always getting in the way (which is why you allow it to be “defeated”?)

I must admit though that I was, previously, somehow managing not to SEE that the Info Panel was very similar to my Data Panel, exactly the same actually in terms of content and how it uses {variables}

So now, I guess, I would revise my request to be:
Could the Info Panel be made just a tad more flexible still?
Right now it appears in the Preview Window or if desired as an Info Tool Tip fly-out panel.
Could it be made also to function as a permanent Panel on the Main Window?
Or as a floating palette?

To me that would be better than either of the other two current options.
Or... rather, and better put, it would be an excellent compliment to the other two.

Possible?

Yes, though as you can imagine that since there is currently a feature (Tooltips) that serves the purpose and the fact that we have a number of high-priority features to implement that this would not be a high-value feature.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »
James,

Yes, though as you can imagine that since there is currently a feature (Tooltips) that serves the purpose and the fact that we have a number of high-priority features to implement that this would not be a high-value feature.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Totally understood.
Thank you for participating in interactive communication with your users.
And thanks for considering my idea.  (I really think it would be a good feature.  ;) )

James

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:29:26 AM »
James,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Totally understood.
Thank you for participating in interactive communication with your users.
And thanks for considering my idea.  (I really think it would be a good feature.  ;) )

James

I too find it a better solution to have an info bar in a constant part of the window than the tooltips. I mostly use both the contact sheet and the preview window without touching the mouse because this way work from the keyboard is lightyears faster. Especially when tight on a deadline on a court side.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com