Author Topic: Deleting EXIF data and keeping embedded resolution  (Read 2229 times)

Offline APR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleting EXIF data and keeping embedded resolution
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
Photomechanic v 4.6.3, windows Vista 64 bit

Hi there, is there a way to delete EXIF data while keeping the resolution data (i.e. PPI) intact or adding it back later? Ideally, we would like to delete all metadata and then apply our own IPTC stationary with copyright info and also keep the embedded resolution in the file. We've tried deleting all data and then using the "Change Resolution" tool to add back the data, but it appears that this doesn't work because when the files are opened in another program, the default resolution of that particular program is used (i.e. 72 ppi in Adobe Bridge etc...) and also the "Change Resolution" tool itself tells you that embedded data must exist to be changed in the first place....  we are mainly concerned with being able to do this on jpeg files and any help is much appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting EXIF data and keeping embedded resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
Photomechanic v 4.6.3, windows Vista 64 bit

Hi there, is there a way to delete EXIF data while keeping the resolution data (i.e. PPI) intact or adding it back later? Ideally, we would like to delete all metadata and then apply our own IPTC stationary with copyright info and also keep the embedded resolution in the file. We've tried deleting all data and then using the "Change Resolution" tool to add back the data, but it appears that this doesn't work because when the files are opened in another program, the default resolution of that particular program is used (i.e. 72 ppi in Adobe Bridge etc...) and also the "Change Resolution" tool itself tells you that embedded data must exist to be changed in the first place....  we are mainly concerned with being able to do this on jpeg files and any help is much appreciated.

PM does not have the ability to 'synthesize' an EXIF chunk.  It can remove it or edit it, but it does not create them from scratch.  You could always open the image in something like Photoshop and save it as a JPEG which will put in a minimal JPEG block and then continue on with PM.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline APR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting EXIF data and keeping embedded resolution
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »
Ok, good to know and thanks for such a quick reply.