Author Topic: CD Burning Problem  (Read 2869 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
CD Burning Problem
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »
I am using PM 4.6.5 in Win Vista 64 bit. I am having a problem that I did not have until recently with burning CD's in PM. When PM writes the file to the CD (I am only copying jpg's) to changes the file name to all caps and drops the "G" from JPG, make the file unreadable. If I copy the files back to the Hard Disk and  rename them, I can then read them.

All of the file names are 32 characters, including the extension.

I then tried some different files, and it didn't truncate the file extension, but it did change the filenames to all caps.

Then I shortened the names of the original files, and they copied OK, but again in all caps.

Any idea what's going on?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: CD Burning Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
Mick,

I am using PM 4.6.5 in Win Vista 64 bit. I am having a problem that I did not have until recently with burning CD's in PM. When PM writes the file to the CD (I am only copying jpg's) to changes the file name to all caps and drops the "G" from JPG, make the file unreadable. If I copy the files back to the Hard Disk and  rename them, I can then read them.

All of the file names are 32 characters, including the extension.

I then tried some different files, and it didn't truncate the file extension, but it did change the filenames to all caps.

Then I shortened the names of the original files, and they copied OK, but again in all caps.

Any idea what's going on?

No, not at all.  I haven't changed the Disc Burning code in well over a year.  What CD burner drive do you have?  Some CD-ROM filesystem formats only support 31 characters including the filename extension.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Re: CD Burning Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »
Must be the filename length limitation.

I have 2 internal drives:
 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233Q ATA
 Optiarc DVD RW AD-72000A SCSI CDRom

At least that's how Windows labels them.

I think I use the TSST more. When I get a chance I'll try the same operation on each and see that happens.

Generally, my filenames aren't that long, so maybe this was an oddball situation.

Mick