Author Topic: Embedding IPTC in NEF  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Leomania

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Embedding IPTC in NEF
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
I'm in the process of setting up my first DAM-based workflow to get a handle on my ten years worth of digital photos. I'm reading the DAM book presently, and looking around for information on the current crop of software to base my flow around. I've been shooting Nikon RAW for three years now, and just moved up from Bibble Pro 4 to version 5. It's taking me some time to get that set up; I'm presently only using it in a Bibble 4 manner.

Initially, it seemed like DNG was a great way to go on the way into Bibble. However, reading about (the lack of) generic DNG support in Bibble in their formus, their position is that converting NEF to DNG will result in the loss of several camera-specific features they provide so (at least as of Dec 2009) they had no plans to add such support. So it appears that if I'm going to stick with Bibble, I won't be using a DNG-based flow.

Reading more, I've found two workable flows; XMP sidecar files, and PM writing IPTC back to my NEF files. Now this latter possibility had never occurred to me, as I had read that the closed nature of the proprietary formats meant writing to these files was a great way to lose information. But it appears PM does it, so it must be pretty safe. Can you fill me in on this feature, and any pros/cons to going this route?

If this is covered somewhere in the docs or in a post on the forums, I apologize; I did look around and do some searching first before posting. Just point me at it.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Embedding IPTC in NEF
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
Leo,

I'm in the process of setting up my first DAM-based workflow to get a handle on my ten years worth of digital photos. I'm reading the DAM book presently, and looking around for information on the current crop of software to base my flow around. I've been shooting Nikon RAW for three years now, and just moved up from Bibble Pro 4 to version 5. It's taking me some time to get that set up; I'm presently only using it in a Bibble 4 manner.

Initially, it seemed like DNG was a great way to go on the way into Bibble. However, reading about (the lack of) generic DNG support in Bibble in their formus, their position is that converting NEF to DNG will result in the loss of several camera-specific features they provide so (at least as of Dec 2009) they had no plans to add such support. So it appears that if I'm going to stick with Bibble, I won't be using a DNG-based flow.

Reading more, I've found two workable flows; XMP sidecar files, and PM writing IPTC back to my NEF files. Now this latter possibility had never occurred to me, as I had read that the closed nature of the proprietary formats meant writing to these files was a great way to lose information. But it appears PM does it, so it must be pretty safe. Can you fill me in on this feature, and any pros/cons to going this route?

If this is covered somewhere in the docs or in a post on the forums, I apologize; I did look around and do some searching first before posting. Just point me at it.

I would try some tests first.  We don't have much experience with Bibble so I can't give you a definitive answer.  First duplicate some NEFs.  Set PM to embed IPTC and IPTC4XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files (NEF is a TIFF-style format) and then add some caption information to those duplicate NEFs.  Then bring them into Bibble and see if there are any issues.  I would try making adjustments in Bibble and then go back to PM and update the caption information again and then go back to Bibble a second time and see if there are any issues.

If there are issues, then I would recommend just using XMP sidecar files instead.  PM can work either way.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Leomania

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
NEF is a TIFF-style format

Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk. I will give that a go.

Part of my hesitation in writing anything to the NEF is I got it drilled into my head the original file shouldn't be touched. That's why DNG sounds so appealing, along with the format being published. How is it you can safely write back to the NEF and not affect any of the data in Nikon's unpublished fields? PM is the only software I've found thus far that indicates it can safely do that.

Thanks again!

- Leo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Leo,

NEF is a TIFF-style format

Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk. I will give that a go.

Part of my hesitation in writing anything to the NEF is I got it drilled into my head the original file shouldn't be touched. That's why DNG sounds so appealing, along with the format being published. How is it you can safely write back to the NEF and not affect any of the data in Nikon's unpublished fields? PM is the only software I've found thus far that indicates it can safely do that.

We don't modify any of the Nikon Maker Note data.  We just relocate the TIFF table and add a couple of new entries to it for the metadata.  All of this is undoable and PM even has a Tool to Revert the RAW file to its original state.

-Kirk