Author Topic: JPGs showing EDIT date, not Capture Date  (Read 2907 times)

Offline kate mc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
JPGs showing EDIT date, not Capture Date
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »
Details: I work for a small business where I shoot and then send them the edited JPGs on a disc.  The office administrator merges them with another photographer's files and then does final edits, etc.  So I don't know what version of PM they use.  It is on an intel-based Mac, but I'm not sure if it runs 10.6.

The issue is that the JPGs I send show the Date / Time as the time that I exported them from Lightroom.  I checked my settings in LR and looked at the JPGs that I sent using Bridge.  The Capture Time is there and is accurate when I view any of the JPGs in Bridge.  But she sent me a screen shot of my file with that of the other photographer.  See attached.  I know the metadata is correct in the files. What suggestions can I give the administrator to try and troubleshoot this problem, so my photos can be sorted correctly by capture time with the other photographer's images.?  I don't think changing the date/time will work because it needs to be merged and sorted with files that are already correctly sorted.

The Info for my file is on the left, and the other photographer/camera is on the right.  I think his files are direct RAW files, no LR conversions to JPG first.

and here is a screen shot of my images in Bridge - with all the metadata there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPGs showing EDIT date, not Capture Date
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
Kate,

Details: I work for a small business where I shoot and then send them the edited JPGs on a disc.  The office administrator merges them with another photographer's files and then does final edits, etc.  So I don't know what version of PM they use.  It is on an intel-based Mac, but I'm not sure if it runs 10.6.

The issue is that the JPGs I send show the Date / Time as the time that I exported them from Lightroom.  I checked my settings in LR and looked at the JPGs that I sent using Bridge.  The Capture Time is there and is accurate when I view any of the JPGs in Bridge.  But she sent me a screen shot of my file with that of the other photographer.  See attached.  I know the metadata is correct in the files. What suggestions can I give the administrator to try and troubleshoot this problem, so my photos can be sorted correctly by capture time with the other photographer's images.?  I don't think changing the date/time will work because it needs to be merged and sorted with files that are already correctly sorted.

The Info for my file is on the left, and the other photographer/camera is on the right.  I think his files are direct RAW files, no LR conversions to JPG first.

and here is a screen shot of my images in Bridge - with all the metadata there.

I'd like for you to send me one of your files that exhibits the issue.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline kate mc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Update:  here are the specs for software, hardware

The Mac running system is 10.6.4
The photo mechanic is 4.6.5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »
Kate,

Update:  here are the specs for software, hardware

The Mac running system is 10.6.4
The photo mechanic is 4.6.5

The three pictures I received from you were all captured on 6/17/2010 from 6:07:31 PM to 6:11:09 PM.  The IPTC Date/Time also matches the capture date/time on each of the three photos.

Is that not what you're expecting?  What would the people on the other end see for these photos?

-Kirk

Offline kate mc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:16:48 AM »
{ ignore my earlier message in your inbox, I was expecting it there, my bad! }

The people on the other end see the "Edit Time."   See the first image with headline Info.  I've reattached for illustration.  The box on the left is what they see when they sort by capture time (my edit time).  The box on the right is the info that displays for the other camera.  (not my camera)   

I guess my question is if the data is all in tact in my JPGs (as you and I have both confirmed) then what are they doing wrong to make it sort that way.  Since I don't know anything about PM you could try with the simplest of answers.  Like maybe they need change their preview or sorting settings?

Here is the screen shot the admin sent me with my file in the left and the other photographer's on the right.  (both should have the same data/time)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »
Kate,

{ ignore my earlier message in your inbox, I was expecting it there, my bad! }

The people on the other end see the "Edit Time."   See the first image with headline Info.  I've reattached for illustration.  The box on the left is what they see when they sort by capture time (my edit time).  The box on the right is the info that displays for the other camera.  (not my camera)   

I guess my question is if the data is all in tact in my JPGs (as you and I have both confirmed) then what are they doing wrong to make it sort that way.  Since I don't know anything about PM you could try with the simplest of answers.  Like maybe they need change their preview or sorting settings?

I guess at this point I'd like to know how the images are getting to the folks on the other side?  Are you uploading with Photo Mechanic?  If so, are you applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during the upload that is perhaps changing the date?

Can we get a copy of the image that they received?

-Kirk