Author Topic: new computer - transfer data  (Read 1931 times)

Offline jayphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
new computer - transfer data
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
I am running PM 4.5.4 on Mac OSX 6.
I have installed PM on the new laptop ( old one died) but is there a way to transfer all my stored data in fields such as keywords, city, etc?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: new computer - transfer data
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
I am running PM 4.5.4 on Mac OSX 6.
I have installed PM on the new laptop ( old one died) but is there a way to transfer all my stored data in fields such as keywords, city, etc?

In the individual images?  Just copy them over.
The actual lists of keywords and cities?  You can export them individually to files and copy them to the other machine and import them individually.  If you had PM 4.6 then you could use the Preferences dialog's Export button and export your settings to a file, followed by copying that file to the new system and use the Preferences dialog's Import button to import your settings file.  This is far easier than the 4.5.x method.

HTH,

-Kirk

P.S. Version 4.5.4 is known to have serious issues when running on Mac OS X 10.6.x  Only recent versions (4.6.x) of Photo Mechanic work properly with Mac OS X 10.6.x.  Depending on when you purchased Photo Mechanic you may be entitled to a free upgrade.  To check for eligibility use the 'Software Update...' command on the Photo Mechanic application menu.

Offline jayphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: new computer - transfer data
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Thanks Kirk - I'm unfortunately way past the free upgrade period...chagrined to hear of the issue with 10.6, guess I'll have to save my pennies!
As always appreciate your help.
-Jay