Author Topic: Canon 7D mRAW "Save Photo As" JPEG - Possible Bug  (Read 2238 times)

Offline saklotz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 7D mRAW "Save Photo As" JPEG - Possible Bug
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
I have PM 4.6.6 and Windows 7 64bit OS. I have used the Canon 7D's Quality menu to save photos to the card in MRAW (3888x2592) and SJPEG (2592x1728) formats. When I use PM to save the file as a jpeg using settings in the "save photo as" dialog box that are; JPEG/High quality, subsample chroma, preserve EXIF data when possible, no cropping, no scaling, 600 pixels/inch, convert to sRGB, no sharpening and source RAW, the jpeg file that is saved has dimensions 5184x3456 pixels. I have checked the dimensions of the RAW file from the camera using Canon's DPP software and the file metadata clearly shows the photo image size with dimensions 3888x2592 pixels. How is it possible for PM to create a jpeg with image dimensions that are larger than the RAW file image size - especially when not told to do so? Is this a bug within PM? Is it a problem with the RAW converter in PM? Perhaps the RAW converter that PM uses simply assumes the size of the RAW file from the Canon 7D is 5184x3456 pixels and ignores the EXIF data in the file that shows the image size as 3888x2592 pixels.

I find this as a nuisance for my work flow, since I am using the MRAW format with this camera to save space and speed-up uploading files to my photo site. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon 7D mRAW "Save Photo As" JPEG - Possible Bug
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »
I have PM 4.6.6 and Windows 7 64bit OS. I have used the Canon 7D's Quality menu to save photos to the card in MRAW (3888x2592) and SJPEG (2592x1728) formats. When I use PM to save the file as a jpeg using settings in the "save photo as" dialog box that are; JPEG/High quality, subsample chroma, preserve EXIF data when possible, no cropping, no scaling, 600 pixels/inch, convert to sRGB, no sharpening and source RAW, the jpeg file that is saved has dimensions 5184x3456 pixels. I have checked the dimensions of the RAW file from the camera using Canon's DPP software and the file metadata clearly shows the photo image size with dimensions 3888x2592 pixels. How is it possible for PM to create a jpeg with image dimensions that are larger than the RAW file image size - especially when not told to do so? Is this a bug within PM? Is it a problem with the RAW converter in PM? Perhaps the RAW converter that PM uses simply assumes the size of the RAW file from the Canon 7D is 5184x3456 pixels and ignores the EXIF data in the file that shows the image size as 3888x2592 pixels.

I find this as a nuisance for my work flow, since I am using the MRAW format with this camera to save space and speed-up uploading files to my photo site. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Sounds like a bug.  Can you furnish some sample images?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk