Author Topic: Metadata differences in NEF and DNG files  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Fred

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata differences in NEF and DNG files
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
Hello all,

First of all, thanks to Camera Bits for Photo Mechanic. It's an excellent tool that really helps me save time sorting through thousands of images. Even though I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, the time saved is much appreciated. ;)

Now over to my question. I tried searching the forums for suggestions, but I wasn't able to find any information.

Here are two screenshots:

The first screenshot is of a NEF file straight out of camera, the second is a DNG version of the same image. The metadata, such as "focus mode", "white balance", etc is not displayed in the DNG image, nor is {lenstype} just below the image. The information is available in the DNG file, so I'm not quite sure why it isn't displayed. Did I forget something in my preferences?

Also, here is an extract of all the metadata from the DNG file:
http://pastebin.com/z9mifzKj

I am using Photo Mechanic v4.6.6 on Windows 7 x64 / Intel PC. Adobe DNG Converter v6.3.0.79 was used to convert the file.

Thanks for your attention. :)

Best regards,
Fred

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata differences in NEF and DNG files
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:01:53 AM »
Fred,

There is nothing wrong with your settings.  PM just doesn't delve as deeply into DNG files as it does from photos generated by an actual Nikon camera.

-Kirk

Offline Fred

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:06 AM »
Kirk,

There is nothing wrong with your settings.  PM just doesn't delve as deeply into DNG files as it does from photos generated by an actual Nikon camera.

Thanks for getting back to me. Any chance that PM could delve deeper into DNG files as well, or would it be very complicated to add that functionality? :)

Best regards,
Fred

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:16 PM »
Fred,

Thanks for getting back to me. Any chance that PM could delve deeper into DNG files as well, or would it be very complicated to add that functionality? :)

Yes it is possible that a future version of PM could parse DNG files more deeply.

-Kirk