Author Topic: Is the right-click "Open in Photo Mechanic" option available in Windows 7?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
I've gotten very used to the option to right-click on any folder in Windows Explorer (files/folder view) and then use the "Open in Photo Mechanic" option on all my machines running Windows XP.  Should this feature also be available in Windows 7?

I ask, because I've not been able to find other references on the forum, except for a few like this one.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5783.msg26516#msg26516

Unfortunately that post doesn't mention which OS they are using, and it may also have been a problem with installing over an older, pre-existing version.

In my case, I've got a completely new Windows 7 OS, and installed Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 for the first time, and it's not showing up when I right click on a folder of images.

Should this feature be available under Windows 7, and if it doesn't get installed during set-up is there a way to bring this feature back?

TIA,

David

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Is the right-click "Open in Photo Mechanic" option available in Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »
I clicked on open with and then browse. If you look under programs x64 - camera bits- double click onphotomechanic 4.6.6 it will then appear in the list. I went to a folder with a picture and right clicked - open with - pm and it opened photomechanic in the folder that the pic was in.

I have win7 - 64bit and PM 4.6.6

Mike

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Is the right-click "Open in Photo Mechanic" option available in Windows 7?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Mike:

Thanks. I tried what you suggested, and it's possible to get it to work, however it's a little different than before, and requires some setup and a few additional steps.

If you right-click on a folder, there is no "Open With" option, only the "Open" option is visible. So you have to go down one level further, select and image, and then when you right-click you will see the "Open With" menu. Hover the cursor over that, option, then when the options appear to the side, scroll to the bottom of that list, and click on "Choose default program."  In the resulting menu, first be sure that the option box to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is "unchecked" as you probably don't always want to have your JPEG or RAW files open in Photo Mechanic.  ;-)

As Photo Mechanic is unlikely to appear in the list of "Recommended Programs" (or even "Other Programs") you'll need to click the "Browse" button and then locate Photo Mechanic. This dialogue will generally default to the 64 bit programs (if you have installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7), so you'll need to go up a level and locate the "Program Files (x86)" folder since Photo Mechanic is a 32 bit program. The path should be something like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic 4.6\

Locate the executable file - "Photo Mechanic.exe" - and select that item. Then click on the OK button in the browse dialogue and then OK again in the "Open With" dialogue.

In order to use you do have to navigate down to the image level (rather than right-clicking on the folder), and then choose "Open With" and choose Photo Mechanic from that flyout menu.

Thanks for sharing as I didn't think that would work. It's certainly a few more steps, than the option that's available under Windows XP, but it's better than not having it at all.

David