Author Topic: PM starts very slow  (Read 11448 times)

Offline TDonnelly

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM starts very slow
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
We are downloading the newer version of PM (4432) and some folks say it takes 3 minutes for PM to load. The previous version they had does not. Would you have a solution for that? This does not happen to everyone just some.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM starts very slow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
We are downloading the newer version of PM (4432) and some folks say it takes 3 minutes for PM to load. The previous version they had does not. Would you have a solution for that? This does not happen to everyone just some.

Try the beta of 4.4.3.3 in the Announcements section of the forums.  It has improvements for the case where network drives are not available on startup and take a long time to timeout.

-Kirk

Offline subetha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:25:34 AM »
PM starts very slow here, too. At least at my PC Desktop (AMD 3000+, 2 GB Ram) - on my Mac Powerbook G4 it starts rather quickly. How can I speed this up?

Regards, Axel Hess

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:17:58 AM »
Axel,

PM starts very slow here, too. At least at my PC Desktop (AMD 3000+, 2 GB Ram) - on my Mac Powerbook G4 it starts rather quickly. How can I speed this up?

Version 4.4.3.3 has been released.  Have you downloaded and installed Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.3?  You can get it from our download page.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:59:11 AM »
I had slow startup issues quite often too. I have no idea why not always, as normaly I don't change much on computer, so it wasn't really logical, why it was slow only occassionaly. I didn't bother too much since I usually come to press center way before event to get stuff ready, so if it took a bit longer to open it did, no big deal.
But I was really surprised when I just installed 4.4.3.3 and it started lot faster (with network drives connected and also disconnected). So whatever you did, it works much better now. Thanks Kirk and Co. :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 06:38:14 AM »
I had slow startup issues quite often too. I have no idea why not always, as normaly I don't change much on computer, so it wasn't really logical, why it was slow only occassionaly. I didn't bother too much since I usually come to press center way before event to get stuff ready, so if it took a bit longer to open it did, no big deal.
But I was really surprised when I just installed 4.4.3.3 and it started lot faster (with network drives connected and also disconnected). So whatever you did, it works much better now. Thanks Kirk and Co. :)

That fix was all Kathy.

She will be happy to know it's working better for you.

-Kirk

Offline subetha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 02:05:13 AM »
Sorry not to join the praise, but 4.4.3.3 still takes about 4 Minutes for startup on my PC. AMD Athlon 3000+, 2gb RAM, 6 Harddisks (2TB combined).
Maybe I have to change my settings? PM is configured to not do anything at startup, 1024MB disk cache, 100mb reserved, empty cache on exit, 128MB memory cache. Disk cache is located on a separate drive.

Axel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 04:50:14 AM »
Axel,

Sorry not to join the praise, but 4.4.3.3 still takes about 4 Minutes for startup on my PC. AMD Athlon 3000+, 2gb RAM, 6 Harddisks (2TB combined).
Maybe I have to change my settings? PM is configured to not do anything at startup, 1024MB disk cache, 100mb reserved, empty cache on exit, 128MB memory cache. Disk cache is located on a separate drive.

The issue has been traced to startup of the Navigator.  As a test, try turning off the Navgator by unchecking it on the View menu and then restarting Photo Mechanic.  If it starts up much faster then it is likely some missing mapped network drives that take a long time to timeout when queried for their existence.

Let me know what you find out.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline subetha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:17:44 AM »
Kirk,

much faster indeed, takes only seconds without the navigator. But of course I need the navigator - any idea how I can solve the problem? Even switching it on when pm is already running takes quite a while. Strangely there are some network and external drives showing up in the navigator which are not shown in windows.

Axel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 07:08:52 AM »
Axel,

much faster indeed, takes only seconds without the navigator. But of course I need the navigator - any idea how I can solve the problem? Even switching it on when pm is already running takes quite a while. Strangely there are some network and external drives showing up in the navigator which are not shown in windows.

Can you describe more about what these drives are and how they are connected to your system?  Are the network drives mapped to drive letters?

-Kirk