Author Topic: PM ftp client currupts scandinavian letters æ,ø,å  (Read 2820 times)

Offline arnbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM ftp client currupts scandinavian letters æ,ø,å
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:03 AM »
Hi Camerabits,

When I ftp photos via the PM ftp client to my newspaper I have the problem that it currupts the danish letters æ,ø and å in the filenames to this: æ,ø,Ã¥ Ã,à when they reach the paper´s server. The paper´s system, SaxoTech, needs codes like "17HLØ testphoto001" in the filenames to put the photos in the right folder for publishing date and section. The letters come through fine in the IPTC, when i encode them as "Latin 10 Scandinavian". Also, when I use another ftp clent, "Filezilla" I do not have the problem, so it must be in the PM Ftp client.

Do you have a solution to this problem?

Many thanks for your help,

Thomas Arnbo

(using PM ver. 4.6.6 on windows vista)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM ftp client currupts scandinavian letters æ,ø,å
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:34:14 AM »
Thomas,

When I ftp photos via the PM ftp client to my newspaper I have the problem that it currupts the danish letters æ,ø and å in the filenames to this: æ,ø,Ã¥ Ã,à when they reach the paper´s server. The paper´s system, SaxoTech, needs codes like "17HLØ testphoto001" in the filenames to put the photos in the right folder for publishing date and section. The letters come through fine in the IPTC, when i encode them as "Latin 10 Scandinavian". Also, when I use another ftp clent, "Filezilla" I do not have the problem, so it must be in the PM Ftp client.

PM sets the filenames in UTF-8 format.  There is no way to direct the FTP uploader to change the encoding of the filenames.

Is there some way to reinterpret the filenames as UTF-8 on the server side?

-Kirk

Offline arnbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM ftp client currupts scandinavian letters æ,ø,å
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have talked to the paper´s IT department, and they say that they will have to change the ftp server to solve the problem. They are planning to do that in a half a year or so anyway, so I guess i will have to wait....

Thanks anyway,

Thomas.