Author Topic: Making it possible to work with metric system for cropping, printing, fit to box  (Read 5919 times)

Offline bennyd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm using PM version 4.6.6
Mac Book Pro OSX 10.6.6 - Intel based

I'm a Belgian and I live in the Flemish region of my country.
I like to work with the metric system in PM making it possible to crop, print, save as, fit to box,....etc. to meet the requirements of photo frames that are sold in Europe.
PM is a fantastic program but it is too "American" making it difficult to work with for us European customers.

I know there is a selection inch vs Cm. in the preference dialog but this selection is not doing what I want.
For resolution we (Western Europe) also work with dpi or pixels but NOT in dots/cm so this selection is not useful for me.
When it comes to measurement we use millimeter, centimeter and when it gets bigger even meter.
When I want to buy a photo frame in a local store or trough a webshop they are sold as 9x13 cm, 15x10 cm, 20x30 cm, 15x20 cm to name a few.
Mostly in the proportion 2/3 or 4/3.
PM makes it difficult to output exactly what I want.

I hope you guys know what I mean here because my English is not that good... ;)

Benny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Benny,

I like to work with the metric system in PM making it possible to crop, print, save as, fit to box,....etc. to meet the requirements of photo frames that are sold in Europe.
PM is a fantastic program but it is too "American" making it difficult to work with for us European customers.

I know there is a selection inch vs Cm. in the preference dialog but this selection is not doing what I want.
For resolution we (Western Europe) also work with dpi or pixels but NOT in dots/cm so this selection is not useful for me.
When it comes to measurement we use millimeter, centimeter and when it gets bigger even meter.
When I want to buy a photo frame in a local store or trough a webshop they are sold as 9x13 cm, 15x10 cm, 20x30 cm, 15x20 cm to name a few.

OK, then please explain how it could be improved.  By the way, there is nothing preventing you from entering large or small cm sizes.  Just use decimals like 0.1 cm = 1 mm if you want millimeters, and 100 cm = 1 m if you want meters.  As for DPI or dots/cm, you can convert that as well and use 2.54 cm = 1.0 inch.

-Kirk

Offline bennyd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I did some extra testing and finally for me it comes down to this:

With this selection active (pixels per inch)
I like to be able to make the following choices in the "Save As" dialog but also in other dialogs where the "Fit to box" feature is present.

-> pixels
-> inch
-> cm
-> ...and why not "percentage"

I adapted the next example to make more clear what I mean... ;)

I think this request is not so dramatic to implement.
In this case the program or computer does the math for conversion and not me.

Btw: I tried to convert the dots per inch in dots per cm....300 pixels/inch gives 118,1102xxxxx pixels/cm.
The thing is that the Resolution input field in PM doesn't allow decimal numbers....

Thank you for reading and I'll hope to find this request in one of the next releases.

Bennyd

Offline bennyd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Benny,

OK, then please explain how it could be improved.  By the way, there is nothing preventing you from entering large or small cm sizes.  Just use decimals like 0.1 cm = 1 mm if you want millimeters, and 100 cm = 1 m if you want meters.  As for DPI or dots/cm, you can convert that as well and use 2.54 cm = 1.0 inch.

-Kirk

I thought it was clear last time. It was asked to explain it, something I had done.
If it can not be done or if one does not want to do, then just say it.

Benny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Benny,

-Kirk

I thought it was clear last time. It was asked to explain it, something I had done.

I had nothing further to add to the discussion.  We'll consider your feature request as much as any other feature request.  If you look at other threads on the Feature Requests section of the forums you'll see many requests that don't get responses from me.  That doesn't mean that we didn't read it or that we'll never implement it.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Hi,
I would also like to have this feature implemented.
I'm a Brazillian photographer and the same thing happens with the photo frames found here.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline bennyd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Benny,

-Kirk

I had nothing further to add to the discussion.  We'll consider your feature request as much as any other feature request.  If you look at other threads on the Feature Requests section of the forums you'll see many requests that don't get responses from me.  That doesn't mean that we didn't read it or that we'll never implement it.

-Kirk

I didn't know how you tread other requests so I expected a "We'll try..." or "Maybe next release...", also because the request is not so difficult to implement after all.
Some features can be for one not useful but for an other essential.
I had hoped to see it in 4.6.7 but I will be patiently waiting for the next release and continue hoping.
We'll see....;-)

Thanks,

-Benny