Poll

Is there a way to import Meta data to image from an Excel sheet or CSV file.

Import Excel
0 (0%)
Import CSV
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Importing meta data from CSV or Excel  (Read 3932 times)

Offline nycretoucher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing meta data from CSV or Excel
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
i have 100,000 files that need to be culled to 80,000. I have a list of the 80,000 images and want to ad a keyword to only the 80,000 images. I was going to use bridge to import the meta data but Bridge is taking forever to load the 100,000 images. So I am turning to Photo Mechanic.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Importing meta data from CSV or Excel
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »
You could use a tab-separated file with the following layout:

filename.ext (TAB) Keyword

Then within PM go to Edit => Settings => Code Replacement
Add the created textfile there and make note of the Delimiter Character. Klick OK

Copy a few of the images to be processed to a test-location, open this test-location within PM, select all images and open the stationary pad.

Into the Keywords-Field type:

Delimeter {filename} delimeter
(I am using # as the delimeter and the text would look like "#{filename}#" )

Apply the Stationary Pad to selected images and check out the results.

Hope this helps
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing meta data from CSV or Excel
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
i have 100,000 files that need to be culled to 80,000. I have a list of the 80,000 images and want to ad a keyword to only the 80,000 images. I was going to use bridge to import the meta data but Bridge is taking forever to load the 100,000 images. So I am turning to Photo Mechanic.

What Sven described will work well.  There may be a simpler method if your keyword is the same for all images (or at least large groups of images have the same keyword). You didn't say, but do all of the images have the same keyword?  If so, then you could use the IPTC Stationery Pad on the Image menu and put the keyword in the Keywords field and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to your selected images.

I will say that PM isn't going to be able to handle a contact sheet with 80,000 images in it at one time.  You'll need to split up the images into smaller sets.  I'd recommend no more than 10,000 images per folder.

-Kirk