Author Topic: PM "Photographer" don't show in JPG  (Read 3140 times)

Offline IPx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM "Photographer" don't show in JPG
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
Using PM 4.6.6 & Windows 7.

In PM the Photographer & Copyright fields are populated. But the corresponding fields in the JPG (Authors & Copyright) stay blank. If I manually populate these fields in the JPG, it shows in PM.

(Normally these fields are populated by the camera but I have many pics where the camera was not set up to do.)

Ingest only JPG's from the camera (SD card).

Hope the explanation is clear? I've searched the forum and find no one else with the problem...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM "Photographer" don't show in JPG
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »
Using PM 4.6.6 & Windows 7.

In PM the Photographer & Copyright fields are populated. But the corresponding fields in the JPG (Authors & Copyright) stay blank. If I manually populate these fields in the JPG, it shows in PM.

(Normally these fields are populated by the camera but I have many pics where the camera was not set up to do.)

Ingest only JPG's from the camera (SD card).

Hope the explanation is clear? I've searched the forum and find no one else with the problem...

What application isn't showing you the values set in Photo Mechanic?  It is likely that this application is showing EXIF tags for those two values and not IPTC data.  PM does not edit those EXIF tags.

-Kirk

Offline IPx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Hi Kirk

From my Windows 7 explorer I go to the jpg-file's properties/details.

'Authors' and 'Copyright' are blank.

Rgds, IPX

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline IPx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
Hi Kirk

I see what you say; because the camera wrote nothing to the EXIF tags, I see nothing.
Is there no way that PMec can write to (some?) EXIF tags? To any other of the fields displayed by /properties/details?

The issue is that the many people only look at the photo's metadata using this view, viz. /properties/details (I guess...).

Rgds, IPx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
I see what you say; because the camera wrote nothing to the EXIF tags, I see nothing.
Is there no way that PMec can write to (some?) EXIF tags? To any other of the fields displayed by /properties/details?

The issue is that the many people only look at the photo's metadata using this view, viz. /properties/details (I guess...).

PM does write to some EXIF tags, mostly capture date/time and GPS tags.  It does not update the others you've described.

-Kirk