Author Topic: Cropping Limitations  (Read 5429 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Cropping Limitations
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »
Running PM 4.6.1 beta (exp 4/17) on Mac Pro OS X 10.5.6

I asked about this a long time ago, and I don't believe anything has changed. But just in case...

I need to crop images to a ratio of 386 x 240, then save them at a size of 386x240 pixels on the web. There's apparently no way to do this with PM.

If normal crop is selected, there's no feedback as to the current size of the crop drawn on the screen. Even if there were, to get an exact crop size would probably be very difficult using the mouse.

If constrained crop is selected, there's no way to enter that ratio into the fields. You can't manually enter a value, and must use the arrow controls which only let you enter integers up to a maximum value of 100. There's no way to specify the desired ratio.

Finally, if you save an image in PM specifying a size of 386x240 it is of course scaled properly resulting in an image size of 362x240.

So...how do I crop and save an image at a size of 386x240 pixels using PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping Limitations
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
Running PM 4.6.1 beta (exp 4/17) on Mac Pro OS X 10.5.6

I asked about this a long time ago, and I don't believe anything has changed. But just in case...

I need to crop images to a ratio of 386 x 240, then save them at a size of 386x240 pixels on the web. There's apparently no way to do this with PM.

If normal crop is selected, there's no feedback as to the current size of the crop drawn on the screen. Even if there were, to get an exact crop size would probably be very difficult using the mouse.

If constrained crop is selected, there's no way to enter that ratio into the fields. You can't manually enter a value, and must use the arrow controls which only let you enter integers up to a maximum value of 100. There's no way to specify the desired ratio.

Finally, if you save an image in PM specifying a size of 386x240 it is of course scaled properly resulting in an image size of 362x240.

So...how do I crop and save an image at a size of 386x240 pixels using PM?

You still can't do that with PM.

Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
I also have a similar problem as my employer uses a strange ratio that in PM cannot be set. I use either PhotoShop or LightRoom to solve the issue, then only send images with PM. It could be a help if PM would allow for manually setting any ratio within a 3 or 4 digit number range. But I think it is a rare problem to have these special sizes....and not necessarily a normal one.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline delane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
Just wondering if there has been any update on this...I need to crop 1100 images (headshots) to a specific size (175x244 pixels @72 dpi).

After that I need to mass remove the crop from those 1100 files (I think I requested that in a private message).

Thanks!

Delane

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
Delane,

Just wondering if there has been any update on this...I need to crop 1100 images (headshots) to a specific size (175x244 pixels @72 dpi).

After that I need to mass remove the crop from those 1100 files (I think I requested that in a private message).

No changes have been made to the cropping code in version 4.6.x.

-Kirk