Author Topic: New iMac and lost color class information  (Read 2908 times)

Offline globell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New iMac and lost color class information
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »
I've just gone mac over the last couple weeks but have used photo mechanic for a year + and love it.  I've edited over a thousand files to select the images that I'm sending for final edit with color class #1 - pink.  They were there yesterday because I pulled a few into lightroom to chek color calibration of the new screen.  Today I open the files up and there are no color class whatsoever.  None.  Nothing.  I'm viewing the images large because I know when you look at them small sometimes you just can't see that they are tagged.  I've even tried selecting all pink color class and no images become selected.

mac 10.6.7 OS

OMG - what happened.  Guarenteed that they were sorted yesterday.

HELP!  Hours and hours of work lost and I'm SO behind with switching to mac.  I'm also hoping that all of the other work I have done in PM this week isn't gone....

I';m also having some issues with PM locking up and having to force quit it several times.

Thanks.  Gloria

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New iMac and lost color class information
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Gloria,

I've just gone mac over the last couple weeks but have used photo mechanic for a year + and love it.  I've edited over a thousand files to select the images that I'm sending for final edit with color class #1 - pink.  They were there yesterday because I pulled a few into lightroom to chek color calibration of the new screen.  Today I open the files up and there are no color class whatsoever.  None.  Nothing.  I'm viewing the images large because I know when you look at them small sometimes you just can't see that they are tagged.  I've even tried selecting all pink color class and no images become selected.

The size of the thumbnails should not matter (unless you make them really small.)  The tag check box and color class/rating widget should be visible on all of the thumbnails.  You shouldn't need to preview.

Quote from: globell
mac 10.6.7 OS

OMG - what happened.  Guarenteed that they were sorted yesterday.

HELP!  Hours and hours of work lost and I'm SO behind with switching to mac.  I'm also hoping that all of the other work I have done in PM this week isn't gone....

You haven't given me much information to go on.  What kind of images are they?  RAW?  JPEG?  Both?  Did you modify the images in Lightroom?

What kind of media are you editing on?  (Hard drive, network drive, CF card, CD/DVD-ROM?)

Quote from: globell
I'm also having some issues with PM locking up and having to force quit it several times.

What operations are you doing at the time that you're having PM lockup on you?

-Kirk

Offline globell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
In the PC version, if the thumbnails were small I couldn't see the color class tagged - hence why I mentioned it.

No files have moved.  Everything is in the same location.

I', editing RAW canon 5d files.  These are completely RAW not raw + jepg.  I did select a couple to edit in lightroom but removed them from LR catalog and saved the jepgs into another folder so they shouldn't interfere. 

I'm editing off seagate external drive(s).

Not sure why PM locks up and it's normally when I'm navigating around - not selecting color class.  It'll lock up (mac cursor with be a color wheel - like it's thinking or working) for mins at a time and most of the time I will force quit and sometimes that won't even work.

Does that help?  Thanks so much.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
Gloria,

In the PC version, if the thumbnails were small I couldn't see the color class tagged - hence why I mentioned it.

No files have moved.  Everything is in the same location.

I', editing RAW canon 5d files.  These are completely RAW not raw + jepg.  I did select a couple to edit in lightroom but removed them from LR catalog and saved the jepgs into another folder so they shouldn't interfere. 

I'm editing off seagate external drive(s).

Not sure why PM locks up and it's normally when I'm navigating around - not selecting color class.  It'll lock up (mac cursor with be a color wheel - like it's thinking or working) for mins at a time and most of the time I will force quit and sometimes that won't even work.

Does that help?  Thanks so much.

When you edit RAW files, are you embedding IPTC/XMP or are you using XMP sidecar files?
Have you set PM to use the same color label names as the ones you use in Lightroom?

If you want to send me some files to examine, I'd be happy to see if they have their color class information in them.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline globell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
Not sure.  With PC it was sidecar files.  How do I tell?

I know that in preferences I did not have "write info info XMP when changing color class" selected but do now.

I was in preferences this morning but only changed 2 things:

1. default image resolution to 300
2. monitor profile

This has NOTHING to do with lightroom.  I haven't exported anything but a couple images into lightroom for a test edit for color calibration.

When I state 'edit' all I mean when I use PM is that I select which images I am 'going to' pop into LR and then I only load those images in.  I drop the selected images in to another folder named 'RAW #1" and then import that into LR.

I haven't sync'd any color class to match lightroom.

PM is so fast at tagging, that it's super convenient and I prefer it over LR selection.  I normally only use pink(#1).  I try and keep it simple.  It's either in the final edit or out.

Sorry if I am not putting forth all the info and I hope that I am explaining the situation and what I am trying to accomplish clearly.  I am a little frustrated so my apologies if I'm coming through as scattered.

gloria

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Gloria,

Not sure.  With PC it was sidecar files.  How do I tell?

I know that in preferences I did not have "write info info XMP when changing color class" selected but do now.

I was in preferences this morning but only changed 2 things:

1. default image resolution to 300
2. monitor profile

This has NOTHING to do with lightroom.  I haven't exported anything but a couple images into lightroom for a test edit for color calibration.

When I state 'edit' all I mean when I use PM is that I select which images I am 'going to' pop into LR and then I only load those images in.  I drop the selected images in to another folder named 'RAW #1" and then import that into LR.

I haven't sync'd any color class to match lightroom.

PM is so fast at tagging, that it's super convenient and I prefer it over LR selection.  I normally only use pink(#1).  I try and keep it simple.  It's either in the final edit or out.

Sorry if I am not putting forth all the info and I hope that I am explaining the situation and what I am trying to accomplish clearly.  I am a little frustrated so my apologies if I'm coming through as scattered.

This sort of thing may be better solved by calling our tech support folks tomorrow morning during business hours.  Their number is (503) 547-2888 and hours are 9:00AM to 5:00PM M-F.

-Kirk