Author Topic: Problem with zooming in - image sometimes rotates sideways.  (Read 3062 times)

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I’m having a few problem with Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 running under Windows 7 64 bit, fully patched.

I shoot with a Canon 5DII and usually 22Mp. Sometimes when I’m viewing photos and click Z to zoom, the images zooms in and then turns sideways & distorts a bit. I  have attached a screenshot (1) showing this. Usually very soon after this (3 or 4 image) I will start encountering images that don’t render but show a pixelated low res image (screenshot 2). If I go backwards or forward to different images, or even stop & restart Photo Mechanic the image will stay pixelated. If I give the affected image a rating, then it suddenly snaps sharp again (screenshot 3).

I have not been using Photo Mechanic very long and this issue is really putting me off using it. I don’t see the pixelated images unless I zoom and it corrupts. Any thoughts on what’s going on?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with zooming in - image sometimes rotates sideways.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »
I’m having a few problem with Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 running under Windows 7 64 bit, fully patched.

I shoot with a Canon 5DII and usually 22Mp. Sometimes when I’m viewing photos and click Z to zoom, the images zooms in and then turns sideways & distorts a bit. I  have attached a screenshot (1) showing this. Usually very soon after this (3 or 4 image) I will start encountering images that don’t render but show a pixelated low res image (screenshot 2). If I go backwards or forward to different images, or even stop & restart Photo Mechanic the image will stay pixelated. If I give the affected image a rating, then it suddenly snaps sharp again (screenshot 3).

I have not been using Photo Mechanic very long and this issue is really putting me off using it. I don’t see the pixelated images unless I zoom and it corrupts. Any thoughts on what’s going on?

PM is probably running out of memory.  What are your Caching settings in the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
I dialect them all up to Max. I have 16Gb of RAM, so I would really hope it was not out of memory! The issue also arrose farily soon after I started editing. I had 1345 images, but that should surely be a fairly standard number for PM to crunch through?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
I dialect them all up to Max. I have 16Gb of RAM, so I would really hope it was not out of memory! The issue also arrose farily soon after I started editing. I had 1345 images, but that should surely be a fairly standard number for PM to crunch through?

32-bit applications like Photo Mechanic can address at most 4GB of RAM, and minus code and libraries that are mapped into the address space of an application, the real amount is much less than 4GB.  Try setting your 'Memory Cache' setting down to 512 MB and then try your edit again.

-Kirk

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:22 AM »
OK that worked. Thank you.  :) OK. Odd that allocating PM more memory makes it run out of memory. Worth adding a little note in the Cache settings to get 512Mb for 64 bit systems? Or is it in the FAQ & I missed it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »
OK that worked. Thank you.  :) OK. Odd that allocating PM more memory makes it run out of memory. Worth adding a little note in the Cache settings to get 512Mb for 64 bit systems? Or is it in the FAQ & I missed it?

No, you didn't miss it.  It would be a good idea to add it to the FAQ section of the manual.

-Kirk