Author Topic: P7000 NRW Embedded & Extracted Jpegs  (Read 2073 times)

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
P7000 NRW Embedded & Extracted Jpegs
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
I'm experiencing a change in color tone in shots from my Nikon P7000 after processing in Nikon CaptureNX2. Yellows, oranges, pinks and fleshtones appear very muted and subdued when viewing processed NRWs in the contact sheet or preview screen.  When re-opening in NX2 all is well.  When I extract or 'save as' in PM the colors have shifted and match the muted tones of the NRW in the contact sheet.  This only happens with NRWs - my D300, D70s and infrared D70 NEFS all display the proper colors after NX2 processing.

Is there something different about NRWs that make the embedded jpegs different?  I also notice that the embedded ICC profile isn't reflected either.  I work in Profoto in NX2, but the information variable doesn't reflect that.  It does however, in my NEF files.

I've attached a screen shot where DSCN0562.NRW is a processed NRW.  DSCN0562-01.jpg is a PM 'save as' jpeg with conversion to sRGB, DSCN0562-02 is a CaptureNX2 'save as' jpeg with conversion to Nikon sRGB that had been viewed in ViewNX2.  DSCN0563.NRW is an unprocessed NRW that was taken immediately after the 0562 NRW.

I've tried turning on and off color management with the same results.

I'm using PM 4.6.7 in Windows XP sp.3 with 2gb of RAM on a core 2 PC.

I appreciate any suggestions or help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: P7000 NRW Embedded & Extracted Jpegs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
I'm experiencing a change in color tone in shots from my Nikon P7000 after processing in Nikon CaptureNX2. Yellows, oranges, pinks and fleshtones appear very muted and subdued when viewing processed NRWs in the contact sheet or preview screen.  When re-opening in NX2 all is well.  When I extract or 'save as' in PM the colors have shifted and match the muted tones of the NRW in the contact sheet.  This only happens with NRWs - my D300, D70s and infrared D70 NEFS all display the proper colors after NX2 processing.

Is there something different about NRWs that make the embedded jpegs different?  I also notice that the embedded ICC profile isn't reflected either.  I work in Profoto in NX2, but the information variable doesn't reflect that.  It does however, in my NEF files.

NRW isn't nearly as common a file format as NEFs and it appears that PM is deficient in getting the ICC profile and is falling back to using whatever default ICC profile you've told PM to use.  You could try changing your preferences to choose the ICC profile you expect to be used in your NRWs and that may improve things a bit.

-Kirk

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
 Thanks for an amazingly fast response Kirk!  I'll try your suggestion. 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
NRW isn't nearly as common a file format as NEFs and it appears that PM is deficient in getting the ICC profile and is falling back to using whatever default ICC profile you've told PM to use.  You could try changing your preferences to choose the ICC profile you expect to be used in your NRWs and that may improve things a bit.

Do you think PM will improve NRW support in the near future? It shouldn't be too hard I think (probably just a matter of looking at a different tag or something). I don't have a camera producing NRWs so I can't do a quick check, but I'm sure people would provide you with samples if necessary.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl