Author Topic: Importing keywords from text file crashes PM 4.6.7  (Read 1705 times)

Offline jaybee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing keywords from text file crashes PM 4.6.7
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
Hi,

Have a reproducable crash that I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it's what I'm trying to do. I'm new to PM.  I only use it for it's great handling of IPTC keywording to embed keywords into my master jpg files.

I have reproduced the crash in PM 4.6.7 with identical results on the following machines:

Windows 7 64bit, 16Gb RAM
Windows XP SP3 2Gb RAM

The crash
Upon importing a .txt file containing keywords via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords, PM freezes and locks up requiring shutting down of the program.

What I'm trying to do

My workflow calls for a preset number of keywords for a given subject to be applied. I don't want (or need) to use a hierarchichal system. I have a block of keywords I need to apply (already saved in txt files) which I may need across several images.  I have lots of these blocks (sets) of keywords. e.g.

castles, europe, european, travel, tourism, history, old, schloss, castle, rhineland, germany, german, historic, medieval, burg, daytime, sunny, sunshine, nobody, Rhineland, Rhineland, Palatinate, Germany, Europe

These are saved as individual .txt files. i.e. "castles.txt"

Upon importing one of these .txt files containing only keywords via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords, PM freezes and locks up requiring shutting down of the program.

I have reproduced this crash behaviour successfully in Windows 7 and in XP. However if I create a very small string of keywords in a text editor (say no more than 6 words). PM imports them fine via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords and allows me then to select them and click Add Path & OK to apply them.

For each subject area I cover I have these larger but generic sets of keywords that I would like to import and use/modify to save me typing them all in from scratch. Is this possible or is PM just responding to something I am doing that it wasn't designed for? If the latter, how can I go about loading up my sets of keywords - is there another way to achieve this please?

Thanks

Jaybee

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing keywords from text file crashes PM 4.6.7
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
Jaybee,

Have a reproducable crash that I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it's what I'm trying to do. I'm new to PM.  I only use it for it's great handling of IPTC keywording to embed keywords into my master jpg files.

I have reproduced the crash in PM 4.6.7 with identical results on the following machines:

Windows 7 64bit, 16Gb RAM
Windows XP SP3 2Gb RAM

The crash
Upon importing a .txt file containing keywords via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords, PM freezes and locks up requiring shutting down of the program.

What I'm trying to do

My workflow calls for a preset number of keywords for a given subject to be applied. I don't want (or need) to use a hierarchichal system. I have a block of keywords I need to apply (already saved in txt files) which I may need across several images.  I have lots of these blocks (sets) of keywords. e.g.

castles, europe, european, travel, tourism, history, old, schloss, castle, rhineland, germany, german, historic, medieval, burg, daytime, sunny, sunshine, nobody, Rhineland, Rhineland, Palatinate, Germany, Europe

These are saved as individual .txt files. i.e. "castles.txt"

Upon importing one of these .txt files containing only keywords via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords, PM freezes and locks up requiring shutting down of the program.

I have reproduced this crash behaviour successfully in Windows 7 and in XP. However if I create a very small string of keywords in a text editor (say no more than 6 words). PM imports them fine via the Load dialogue in Structured Keywords and allows me then to select them and click Add Path & OK to apply them.

For each subject area I cover I have these larger but generic sets of keywords that I would like to import and use/modify to save me typing them all in from scratch. Is this possible or is PM just responding to something I am doing that it wasn't designed for? If the latter, how can I go about loading up my sets of keywords - is there another way to achieve this please?

If you don't need hierarchical keywords you might want to just use the regular Keywords which are just a linear list.  You can access them from the IPTC dialogs or use the Keywords panel on the Image menu.

As for the freeze, I doubt that it is truly frozen.  It is just taking a long time to sort your imported keywords into your existing list.

-Kirk

Offline jaybee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Importing keywords from text file crashes PM 4.6.7
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

Yes Importing the text file string via the Keywords panel or via the Edit Keywords command in Stationery Pad works fine! That's what I'm after. Many thanks.  :)

BTW, the crash was an actual crash not a freeze. On Windows 7 everything goes opaque and I get an error message and XP crashes and errors too. It doesn't just sit there it actually locks up so no keyboard or mouse commands work.

Jaybee