Author Topic: Metadata transfer between image formats  (Read 3401 times)

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
Metadata transfer between image formats
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:03:59 AM »
Hello.

I'm a new PM user, currently running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I have a NEF based workflow but more recently also using RAF files ( Fuji X100).

To process the RAFs using Nikon Capture NX 2 I first convert the RAF into TIFF using Raw Photo Processor 64 and then load the TIFF into CNX2. From there save as a NEF. Works well for me.

However there is a problem with metadata transfer from the original RAF to NEF via the TIFF:

1/ The original RAF has IPTC caption, headline, city, location, state and country set (along with other tags). These are correctly listed in PM IPTC Info.

2/ The intermediate TIFF only has headline and city listed under PM IPTC Info.

3/ The NEF has only headline, city and country listed under PM IPTC Info.

However, within CNX2, if I dummy edit the Metadata by inserting a space and then deleting the space and then Apply the Metadata,  then PM IPTC Info. displays caption, headline, city, state and country. That is, only the location is missing.

To summarise:
                  RAF   TIFF   NEF(1)   NEF(2)
Caption         X                              X
Headline        X       X       X            X
City              X       X        X           X
Location        X       
State            X                              X
Country        X                 X           X

Any suggestions as to what is causing the incomplete display of the metadata, between formats, within PM?

Also, why the CNX2 Metadata dummy edit makes most of the described metatags visible within PM?

This is not new to PM 4.6.8 as it happened in 4.6.7.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata transfer between image formats
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:29:26 AM »
Peter,

I'm a new PM user, currently running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I have a NEF based workflow but more recently also using RAF files ( Fuji X100).

To process the RAFs using Nikon Capture NX 2 I first convert the RAF into TIFF using Raw Photo Processor 64 and then load the TIFF into CNX2. From there save as a NEF. Works well for me.

However there is a problem with metadata transfer from the original RAF to NEF via the TIFF:

1/ The original RAF has IPTC caption, headline, city, location, state and country set (along with other tags). These are correctly listed in PM IPTC Info.

2/ The intermediate TIFF only has headline and city listed under PM IPTC Info.

3/ The NEF has only headline, city and country listed under PM IPTC Info.

However, within CNX2, if I dummy edit the Metadata by inserting a space and then deleting the space and then Apply the Metadata,  then PM IPTC Info. displays caption, headline, city, state and country. That is, only the location is missing.

To summarise:
                  RAF   TIFF   NEF(1)   NEF(2)
Caption         X                              X
Headline        X       X       X            X
City              X       X        X           X
Location        X       
State            X                              X
Country        X                 X           X

Any suggestions as to what is causing the incomplete display of the metadata, between formats, within PM?

Also, why the CNX2 Metadata dummy edit makes most of the described metatags visible within PM?

This is not new to PM 4.6.8 as it happened in 4.6.7.

Without having sample files to investigate, I'd have to guess that it is a deficiency in Capture NX2 that is the problem.  Location is just another IPTC field.  There is nothing special about it.  If it exists in the IPTC record, PM will display it.  If it is missing, PM (or any other application for that matter) won't know about it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
What are your IPTC/XMP preferences?

CNX2 uses embedded xmp data to store its metadata and it DOES have a location field (as well as all the other fields).
My guess is you also have embedded IPTC (on top of XMP), CNX2 will not update that and this may lead to unexpected results.

My workflow is NEF/CNX2 orientated too, and I never have seen these problems (I generally only update metadata within PM, but I tested what you described and the update to the location field within CNX2 worked just fine).

So I think there is something wrong with your IPTC/XMP preferences.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
Thanks for your responses Kirk and Hayo.

The problem only occurs with NEFs produced via the flow I described, beginning with a RAF file.

Incidentally EXIFTools reports all expected tags in both TIFF and the two NEF stages. As they must be since they can't miraculously re-appear!  

In checking my IPTC /XMP preferences in PM I'm wondering if, in the "When reading ... " section, you recommend having the "Read Embedded IPTC" as the First or Second priority step?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:58:41 PM by pshrutpark »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for your responses Kirk and Hayo.

The problem only occurs with NEFs produced via the flow I described, beginning with a RAF file.

Incidentally EXIFTools reports all expected tags in both TIFF and the two NEF stages. As they must be since they can't miraculously re-appear!  

In checking my IPTC /XMP preferences in PM I'm wondering if, in the "When reading ... " section, you recommend having the "Read Embedded IPTC" as the First or Second priority step?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

There are only a few combinations.  Why not just try each of them and see which combination works best for you?  Please report back your results.

-Kirk