Author Topic: Updating IPTC Data for Individual Images: Just What You'd Want!  (Read 7723 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Updating IPTC Data for Individual Images: Just What You'd Want!
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »
I wanted to update the IPTC caption field for a couple of boxing images in the middle of my workflow for submitting files to a wire service but it wasn't totally clear to me what I had to do.  When I clicked the "I" in the lower left corner and the IPTC menu displayed, since I didn't see any check boxes I made the erroneous assumption that it was a display only menu.  Now that the files are long gone I took the time to go back and experiment and it turns out that the IPTC menu for an individual item can be modified and saved and it does not affect the current stationary pad.  Wish I knew this last night but now that I know, it is just what I'd want it to do.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating IPTC Data for Individual Images: Just What You'd Want!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
I wanted to update the IPTC caption field for a couple of boxing images in the middle of my workflow for submitting files to a wire service but it wasn't totally clear to me what I had to do.  When I clicked the "I" in the lower left corner and the IPTC menu displayed, since I didn't see any check boxes I made the erroneous assumption that it was a display only menu.  Now that the files are long gone I took the time to go back and experiment and it turns out that the IPTC menu for an individual item can be modified and saved and it does not affect the current stationary pad.  Wish I knew this last night but now that I know, it is just what I'd want it to do.

And if you do want to copy the current IPTC Info to the IPTC Stationery Pad, you can hold down the Shift key (Option key on Mac OS X) and the "Apply Stationery Pad" will change to "Copy to Stationery" so that you can start out a batch operation with the current IPTC Info template.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Kirk. Very useful. I also noticed that when the option key is pressed the clear button changes to options and the OK button changes to "Eval" - what does "Eval" do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Kirk. Very useful. I also noticed that when the option key is pressed the clear button changes to options and the OK button changes to "Eval" - what does "Eval" do?

It evaluates any variables in the the various fields so you can see what would happen if you applied those variables.

These features are explained in the manual available in the Announcements section.  While the manual is still Mac-centric, 90+% applies equally to the Windows version so it is useful to Windows and Mac users.

HTH,

-Kirk