Author Topic: Photo Mechanic won't accept star ratings or adding gps data - specific folder  (Read 2188 times)

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
Hi

PM 4.6.7 on Win Vista.

My problem is that I am unable to write star ratings or gps data into images in a particular folder. I guess it could be a permissions issue, but I have been unable to fix it.

Background: This particular folder does have an unusual history because of network problems I'm having. The images were originally captured as raw plus jpg, and stored on an external hard drive attached to a Macbook Pro. I was unable to get the Macbook Pro to 'talk' successfully to my main Win Vista desktop, so I copied just the xmp files and the raw files, without the jpg's, onto a usb stick and then copied the files off the usb stick onto my Win Vista machine.

When I try to add star ratings or gps data no change appears to happen. My settings are to advance to the next image after a star rating is added, and this 'advance' does still happen, but no star rating is added. Edit: The problem does seem restricted to just this folder. Other folders of similar images are not presenting this problem.

I wonder could someone please suggest what's going wrong and/or how to fix it?

Thanks

Regards

Des
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:11:09 PM by disci »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Des,

PM 4.6.7 on Win Vista.

My problem is that I am unable to write star ratings or gps data into images in a particular folder. I guess it could be a permissions issue, but I have been unable to fix it.

Background: This particular folder does have an unusual history because of network problems I'm having. The images were originally captured as raw plus jpg, and stored on an external hard drive attached to a Macbook Pro. I was unable to get the Macbook Pro to 'talk' successfully to my main Win Vista desktop, so I copied just the xmp files and the raw files, without the jpg's, onto a usb stick and then copied the files off the usb stick onto my Win Vista machine.

When I try to add star ratings or gps data no change appears to happen. My settings are to advance to the next image after a star rating is added, and this 'advance' does still happen, but no star rating is added. Edit: The problem does seem restricted to just this folder. Other folders of similar images are not presenting this problem.

I wonder could someone please suggest what's going wrong and/or how to fix it?

Right-click on one of the images in the Contact Sheet and choose 'Reveal in Windows Explorer'.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with the photo selected.  Right-click on the photo and choose Properties.  Check the permissions of that file.  If they look fine (you have read and write access) then use the directory tree on the left side of the window and get Properties on the folder itself.  Make sure you have read and write access.

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
Thanks for your help Kirk. I appreciate it.

In order to keep moving, what I tried was:
1. added the star ratings and gps data to the images on the Macbook Pro,
2. On the Macbook Pro, clicked 'get info' on the folder and made sure everyone had read and write access, instead of just my name-only having write access (and other categories only having read access),
3. Re-transferred the files onto a usb and over to Vista.

The files then behaved correctly.

Thanks again.

Regards

Des