Author Topic: Frame # is blank after ingest  (Read 5331 times)

Offline dandill

• View Profile
Frame # is blank after ingest
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:50:55 AM »
On ingest I successfully rename .cr2 files as DanDill-{iptcdate}-{frame}, for example to

DanDill-20111105-3768.CR2

After ingest, I apply an IPTC Stationary Pad to set the Object Name to the filename, using, DanDill-{datesort}-{frame4}. This has worked properly for years, but now is no longer including the frame number in the object name, that is I an now getting just

DanDill-20111105-

Looking at the file info after ingest, I see that Frame # is indeed now blank.

Can someone help me sort this out, so that I can get the frame number into the object name where it is missing and to prevent this behavior in future?

Thanks
Dan Dill

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:27:45 AM by dandill »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Frame # is blank after ingest
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:04:20 AM »
Dan,

On ingest I successfully rename .cr2 files as DanDill-{iptcdate}-{frame}, for example to

DanDill-20111105-3768.CR2

After ingest, I apply an IPTC Stationary Pad to set the Object Name to the filename, using, DanDill-{datesort}-{frame4}. This has worked properly for years, but now is no longer including the frame number in the object name, that is I an now getting just

DanDill-20111105-

Looking at the file info after ingest, I see that Frame # is indeed now blank.

Can someone help me sort this out, so that I can get the frame number into the object name where it is missing and to prevent this behavior in future?

So your entire workflow starting from the original Ingest from the camera card is:

Insert card into Card Reader
Ingest with renaming
Browse Ingested files
Apply an IPTC Stationery Pad with DanDill-{datesort}-{frame4} as the Object Name

There are no other steps or other applications involved before the IPTC Stationery Apply step?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »
So your entire workflow starting from the original Ingest from the camera card is:

Ingest with renaming
Browse Ingested files
Apply an IPTC Stationery Pad with DanDill-{datesort}-{frame4} as the Object Name

There are no other steps or other applications involved before the IPTC Stationery Apply step?

Hi Kirk.

Yes, that is exactly the workflow. Attached is the IPTC/XMP page of my preference, in case the cause is a setting there. Also, my version is PM 4.6.8.

Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
Dan,

Ingest with renaming
Browse Ingested files

Yes, that is exactly the workflow. Attached is the IPTC/XMP page of my preference, in case the cause is a setting there. Also, my version is PM 4.6.8.

What camera is producing the CR2 files?  At the time of the apply of the IPTC Stationery Pad, if you were to look at the folder containing the image, would XMP sidecar files be present?  Do you have PM set to never modify RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:03:51 AM »
What camera is producing the CR2 files?  At the time of the apply of the IPTC Stationery Pad, if you were to look at the folder containing the image, would XMP sidecar files be present?  Do you have PM set to never modify RAW files?
Files come from Canon 40D.

Just now I re-ingested three files from the CF card and without applying the stationary, I see in the Info panel that Frame # is blank. So, I guess the problem in with my ingest. I notice in the short XMP file made on ingest (prior to stationary application) the line

<photomechanic:Prefs>0:0:0:-00001</photomechanic:Prefs>

In XMP files for files that successfully included frame number on stationary pad application, the -00001 instead is the frame number, for example

<photomechanic:Prefs>0:0:0:003055</photomechanic:Prefs>

My Preferences > Files screen grab is attached.

Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Dan,

What camera is producing the CR2 files?  At the time of the apply of the IPTC Stationery Pad, if you were to look at the folder containing the image, would XMP sidecar files be present?  Do you have PM set to never modify RAW files?
Files come from Canon 40D.

Just now I re-ingested three files from the CF card and without applying the stationary, I see in the Info panel that Frame # is blank. So, I guess the problem in with my ingest. I notice in the short XMP file made on ingest (prior to stationary application) the line

<photomechanic:Prefs>0:0:0:-00001</photomechanic:Prefs>

In XMP files for files that successfully included frame number on stationary pad application, the -00001 instead is the frame number, for example

<photomechanic:Prefs>0:0:0:003055</photomechanic:Prefs>

My Preferences > Files screen grab is attached.

The Canon 40D does not include frame numbers in its metadata (EXIF or MakerNote) so PM infers it from the original filename.  I think if you were to apply an IPTC Stationery Pad (even if it just cleared an unused field) then PM would put the inferred frame number in the XMP data which would be available at any time after the Ingest.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »
The Canon 40D does not include frame numbers in its metadata (EXIF or MakerNote) so PM infers it from the original filename.  I think if you were to apply an IPTC Stationery Pad (even if it just cleared an unused field) then PM would put the inferred frame number in the XMP data which would be available at any time after the Ingest.
Looking with ExifTool, I see FileIndex in the MakeNote contains the frame number.

Also, has there been a change in PM that would account for things having worked up until several months ago?

Anyhow, can you tell me in a little more detail how I may get things working again? All I have access to are ingested files, named as

DanDill-yyyymmdd-nnnn.cr2

where nnnn is the frame number. That is, how can PM infer the frame number once the file has been renamed?

Dan

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Setting aside getting the frame number in the ObjectName where it is missing in previously ingested files, as far as I can tell I I can no longer get the frame number as part of the ObjectName on a fresh ingest. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks
Dan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
Dan,

Looking with ExifTool, I see FileIndex in the MakeNote contains the frame number.

Also, has there been a change in PM that would account for things having worked up until several months ago?

Anyhow, can you tell me in a little more detail how I may get things working again? All I have access to are ingested files, named as

DanDill-yyyymmdd-nnnn.cr2

where nnnn is the frame number. That is, how can PM infer the frame number once the file has been renamed?

Use {filenamebase:-4} to get the last four letters from the filename.

It should work regardless of any other settings you might change.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
Dan,

Setting aside getting the frame number in the ObjectName where it is missing in previously ingested files, as far as I can tell I I can no longer get the frame number as part of the ObjectName on a fresh ingest. Is there a way to do that?

{frame4} should work on a fresh Ingest if your images are in the standard filename format on the card (IMG_1234.CR2 or _MG_1234.CR2)

-Kirk