Author Topic: Import IPTC Locations from Text file  (Read 2423 times)

Offline JCSheeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import IPTC Locations from Text file
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
I am running PM version 4.6.8 on a Windows 7 machine.

I am trying to import a list of locations stored in a text file.  A sample file with 2 entries is attached. I open the Stationary Pad, and select "Edit Locations ..." from the Locations combo box.  When I select Import and browse to the file, all that happens is that I have a single Location added consisting of two question marks followed by the first character of the file.  When using the attached file with a first entry of "House, 4314 Napier Street" followed by 1 or more other entries, all that is added to the location list is "??H"  I,ve tried entries without numbers or commas, or any other "strange characters.

I've exported a file, and can re-import the PM created file without any problems.  If I copy the text from the exported file, making a seemingly identical a new file, the import of the new file fails.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Apologies if a similar post already exists, or if this is covered anywhere else.  I did check before posting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:31:44 PM by JCSheeron »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import IPYV Locations from Text file
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
I am running PM version 4.6.8 on a Windows 7 machine.

I am trying to import a list of locations stored in a text file.  A sample file with 2 entries is attached. I open the Stationary Pad, and select "Edit Locations ..." from the Locations combo box.  When I select Import and browse to the file, all that happens is that I have a single Location added consisting of two question marks followed by the first character of the file.  When using the attached file with a first entry of "House, 4314 Napier Street" followed by 1 or more other entries, all that is added to the location list is "??H"  I,ve tried entries without numbers or commas, or any other "strange characters.

I've exported a file, and can re-import the PM created file without any problems.  If I copy the text from the exported file, making a seemingly identical a new file, the import of the new file fails. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Apologies if a similar post already exists, or if this is covered anywhere else.  I did check before posting.

You need to save the file out as UTF-8 Unicode instead of UTF-16 Unicode.  Then it should work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JCSheeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Import IPTC Locations from Text file
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
Same day reply on a Holiday Weekend !! Impressive.
I just realized I fat fingered the Subject.  Too bad, if others are searching using IPTC.
UTF-8 was the problem, and it worked great.  Thank you very much Kirk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:32:26 PM by JCSheeron »