Author Topic: Pixelated ? Images  (Read 15314 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pixelated ? Images
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: any update?

No, I'm sorry.  We're exceedingly busy right now.  We'll try to get to it soon.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: any update?

When I view your image "Sandor_2011_02_07_ 2167.NEF" at 100% zoom level, I immediately see the pixellated noise.  Extracting the JPEG from the NEF and viewing it in Photoshop at 100% shows the same issue.  I'd suspect that you have sharpening turned on in your camera such that when it generates the JPEG preview for your NEF files, sharpening has already been applied.

Please check your camera's settings.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
Kirk: thanks for the reply. Yes, I do apply sharpening in camera so that I can check sharpness in the LCD and I don't think I'm the only person who applies in camera sharpening. However, as soon as I edit a photo in NX2, my first step is to undo in-camera sharpening. I'll do editing and apply sharpening as needed for output. What you have mentioned doesn't explain why sometimes the edited image appears pixelated and other times the same image doesn't appear pixelated. So what you saw are images (not pixelated/pixelated) that have been sharpened in Post.  It also doesn't explain why when the pixelated image appears, the only way to quit PM is via Force Quit. Your answer ignores earlier provided info. No need to pursue and not the end of the world as I'll just force quit from time to time. Richard
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:46:08 PM by rbsandor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: thanks for the reply. Yes, I do apply sharpening in camera so that I can check sharpness in the LCD and I don't think I'm the only person who applies in camera sharpening. However, as soon as I edit a photo in NX2, my first step is to undo in-camera sharpening. I'll do editing and apply sharpening as needed for output. What you have mentioned doesn't explain why sometimes the edited image appears pixelated and other times the same image doesn't appear pixelated. So what you saw are images (not pixelated/pixelated) that have been sharpened in Post.  It also doesn't explain why when the pixelated image appears, the only way to quit PM is via Force Quit. Your answer ignores earlier provided info. No need to pursue and not the end of the world as I'll just force quit from time to time. Richard

I didn't ignore your earlier information.  You provided two images.  One has no pixellation and I couldn't get it to spontaneously produce any.  The other one has pixellation built into the image which is no fault of PM.

If you can help me reproduce the problem, I can probably fix it.  I cannot reproduce the problem with the supplied images.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »
Kirk: Most likely I should send you the edited files.The two NEFs I sent you were the unedited originals as suggested by Jerry. The pixellation only occurs when an edited image is being viewed in PM and even then, the pixellation doesn't always appear. The screenshots in my original post show this.  If I view edited images in other browsers, I don't see the pixellation however.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:23:44 AM by rbsandor »

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Kirk: would you like the  edited NEFs? Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 12:17:37 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: would you like the  edited NEFs? Richard

I'd like whatever makes it possible to reproduce the problem in the shortest amount of time.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
Kirk: please provide the info for the FTP upload. Thanks.