Author Topic: Navigator Problem  (Read 2157 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Navigator Problem
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Hi,

I granted my laptop a ssd drive. To avoid problems I installed everything including windows 7 x64 prof. from scratch. Now I have a minor problem with pm's navigator.

My windows' language is german. As far as I can tell all orignal windows folders are still named in english but all programms showing them show a german translation. So in normal use I never get to see the english folder name. This applies to pm's navigator on my desktop and on the previous installment on the former hdd. On the new installation it's kind of messed up. Most folders are displayed with their original english name, some in german. Something that also makes me suspicous is the fact that the navigator shows a folder "my documents" under my desktop although the folder is not there.

Is this a possible problem resulting from exporting and importing settings? This feature never really worked for me. Not all settings or snapshots were imported.

Regards
Oliver
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:57:06 PM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigator Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
Oliver,

I granted my laptop a ssd drive. To avoid problems I installed everything including windows 7 x64 prof. from scratch. Now I have a minor problem with pm's navigator.

My windows' language is german. As far as I can tell all orignal windows folders are still named in english but all programms showing them show a german translation. So in normal use I never get to see the english folder name. This applies to pm's navigator on my desktop and on the previous installment on the former hdd. On the new installation it's kind of messed up. Most folders are displayed with their original english name, some in german. Something that also makes me suspicous is the fact that the navigator shows a folder "my documents" under my desktop although the folder is not there.

Is this a possible problem resulting from exporting and importing settings? This feature never really worked for me. Not all settings or snapshots were imported.

Please post a JPEG screen shot illustrating the issue.  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
Hi Kirk,

as you can see there's a Windows system folder "Eigene Dokumente" (My Documents) listed on my desktop although it is not there. Another thing you can see is that on my desktop the "My Documents" folder is just called "documents", on my laptop it is called "dokumente", not "Eigene Dokumente" as Windows calls this folder. On my laptop the "My Pictures" folder is displayed as "pictures", on my desktop as "Bilder".

Desktop is a Win x64 Ultimate, laptop a Win x64 Prof. both in german.

Any ideas?

Oliver

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:16 AM »
Oliver,

as you can see there's a Windows system folder "Eigene Dokumente" (My Documents) listed on my desktop although it is not there. Another thing you can see is that on my desktop the "My Documents" folder is just called "documents", on my laptop it is called "dokumente", not "Eigene Dokumente" as Windows calls this folder. On my laptop the "My Pictures" folder is displayed as "pictures", on my desktop as "Bilder".

Desktop is a Win x64 Ultimate, laptop a Win x64 Prof. both in german.

Are you saying you just don't like the layout of the folders/names or are they non-functional?

PM doesn't use the Windows Shell to get the directory names like Windows Explorer does.  It does things a different way that is more reliable for PM.  We used to use the Windows Shell but it caused all kinds of reliability problems.  We now use a different method and stability has improved immensely.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
Are you saying you just don't like the layout of the folders/names or are they non-functional?

PM doesn't use the Windows Shell to get the directory names like Windows Explorer does.  It does things a different way that is more reliable for PM.  We used to use the Windows Shell but it caused all kinds of reliability problems.  We now use a different method and stability has improved immensely.

Since folder names are pretty self explaining it's not really an issue I just have to make that quick mental language switch. I was more confused seeing a folder where it isn't.  Since all this contributes to the stability everything is fine with me ;-) Thank you!