Author Topic: IPTC Fields confusion  (Read 2311 times)

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Fields confusion
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Rather than do the IPTC data entry in Bridge or Lightroom, I'd far prefer to do this in PM as it makes better workflow sense.

But I'm clearly doing something wrong. Here's an example. With the Contact Sheet window open, I have a few hundred corporate portraits.
The IPTC Stationary pad is open and I've filled in all my personal details, business details, copyright etc and saved this as a default. Fine.

In the Caption window I enter the client name and project name and apply this to the whole folder of images. No problem.

Then also in the caption window I want to enter specific names. So in the Contact Sheet I select the 20 images of Sue Smith, add her name to the caption window and check the Apply Stationary to Selected.
But what happens is that the name Sue Smith is added to EVERY image in the folder, even though I only had the Sue Smith images selected.

It's obviously a simple matter, so what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Wright

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Fields confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
Paul,

Rather than do the IPTC data entry in Bridge or Lightroom, I'd far prefer to do this in PM as it makes better workflow sense.

But I'm clearly doing something wrong. Here's an example. With the Contact Sheet window open, I have a few hundred corporate portraits.
The IPTC Stationary pad is open and I've filled in all my personal details, business details, copyright etc and saved this as a default. Fine.

In the Caption window I enter the client name and project name and apply this to the whole folder of images. No problem.

Then also in the caption window I want to enter specific names. So in the Contact Sheet I select the 20 images of Sue Smith, add her name to the caption window and check the Apply Stationary to Selected.
But what happens is that the name Sue Smith is added to EVERY image in the folder, even though I only had the Sue Smith images selected.

It's obviously a simple matter, so what am I doing wrong here?

It is not possible that the IPTC Stationery Pad is applying itself to more than your selection.  It is likely that instead of clicking on the 'i' button that appears when you hover your mouse cursor over an image, you're continuing to bring up the IPTC Stationery Pad which would indeed show the last caption you entered into it.

How are you viewing the caption for individual images?

-Kirk

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me on this Kirk.

I'm viewing the caption clicking "i". This is seriously weird. I'm in a mess with this.
Ok, so now I've re-written the IPTC template, saved it and applied it to the whole folder. Is it normal that this will simply ADD to what was already there, or should it overwrite the previous?

Is there a step by step simple tutorial to do this? The PDF User Guide is unclear.

Paul Wright

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »
Paul,

I'm viewing the caption clicking "i". This is seriously weird. I'm in a mess with this.
Ok, so now I've re-written the IPTC template, saved it and applied it to the whole folder. Is it normal that this will simply ADD to what was already there, or should it overwrite the previous?

Un-check the checkbox with the '+' next to it and the caption will be replaced instead of appended onto.

Quote from: PWP
Is there a step by step simple tutorial to do this? The PDF User Guide is unclear.

Do you have the manual? :

http://www.camerabits.com/download/Photo_Mechanic_4.6.3_Manual.pdf

-Kirk

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
Yep, the checkbox did it.  It had to be simple.
Thanks very much. You're the best.

Paul Wright