Author Topic: PM use with encrypted volumes  (Read 5593 times)

Offline magicbutton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM use with encrypted volumes
« on: October 17, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm playing around with some options for traveling with multiple external HD's that are used for redundant storage.  One of these options involves the security of the data (photo's) while in transit since *some* of the drives will not be under my control 100% of the time.

Looking into it, I only ran across a few shrink wrapped security options (i.e. LaCie's SAFE drives) that are built into the drive itself.  These drives will not only limit access to the data via fingerprint reader, but actually encrypt the data stored on the drive.  So, you may lose the drive to theft, etc., but not have your data compromised.  I did not like this option since the cost of the drive was significantly more and I did not like not having so much extra hardware built into the drive that was not servicable or replaceable in the event of a failure.  Also, as the speed of interfaces are increasing almost hourly, I did not like the idea that my transfer speed was limited (again not upgradeable) by the drive itself because of the extra encryption tasks. Whereas an encryption scheme utilizing a laptops hardware is significantly more robust...anyway.

My question!  Has anyone dealt sucessfully in field in using encrypted external HD's (or encrypted volumes) with PM?  What third party application did you use or would you recommend to encrypt those volumes?  What, if any issues, reared their ugly head with this setup?

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: PM use with encrypted volumes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »

Offline magicbutton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM use with encrypted volumes
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:38:37 PM »
Should have specified my OS, sorry.  I'm using WinXp.
Along similar lines as Filevault, I have run across TrueCrypt.  A freeware program (sourceforge I believe).

Appears fairly robust and a decent amout of security built in (hidden volumes, keyfiles, etc.).  However, until something like this gets put through the paces, you never truly know how it will hold up.  Was hoping someone else had done this before I placed all my bets, so to speak.