Author Topic: List of Random Quirks with PM5 B3  (Read 1776 times)

Offline BradTollefson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website and Blog
List of Random Quirks with PM5 B3
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
So I've been working with the betas to test them out and help find any bugs that I've come across. Because well that's what beta is for right?  ::) I figured it would be best to just list make a list errors I and anybody else has noticed. I'm running Vista SP1 and Beta 3 build 12883.

GUI
  • Bottom Info bar on the main screen, update the ratings and taskbar to match the rest of the theme.
  • Have "tag" check boxes match those in the rest of the application.
  • The expand "pluses" in the navigator don't seem to match the rest of the designs. They appear boxy.
  • Match the drop down menu to the selected color scheme.
  • A few times the menu bar has been a harsh sky blue, but I haven't been able to recreate it.
  • Maybe give secondary screens (Stationary Pad, Structured Keywords, etc.) drop shadows to distinguish them from the screen below.
Structured Keywords
  • The horizontal scroll doesn't automatically shrink back down to an original size after digging into a deeper level and then moving back to the beginning.
  • Keywords with child items don't have an arrow to identify you can move deeper unless you select it.
  • The green for synonyms is nice, but it is odd compared to the rest of the application. Perhaps just leave it bold?
Preview
  • When using ctrl+w to close the screen, it also closes the contact sheet. Whereas "Close" and "esc" it just exits out of the preview but leaves open the contact sheet.
  • The panes don't individually minimize without dragging them shut.
Odd Things
  • I haven't been able to scroll anywhere without first clicking in the area the cursor is. Well actually, I can scroll through the contact sheet and preview thumbnails when hovering over them.
  • I'm not sure if it is intended or not, but I accidentally discovered that I can view multiple contact sheets simultaneously by dragging them.
  • As I stated in another thread, the crops only stick when the frame number is 0000. I'm sure there is a larger cause, linked to why the frame number was reset. I just haven't found it yet.
Otherwise everything looks great, and keeps getting better with each new beta.
Also, can we expect OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility once they're both released? My office is planning to update everything around late August.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: List of Random Quirks with PM5 B3
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
Brad,

So I've been working with the betas to test them out and help find any bugs that I've come across. Because well that's what beta is for right?  ::) I figured it would be best to just list make a list errors I and anybody else has noticed. I'm running Vista SP1 and Beta 3 build 12883.

GUI
  • Bottom Info bar on the main screen, update the ratings and taskbar to match the rest of the theme.

Not sure what you mean by "taskbar"?  You mentioned the 'ratings', so perhaps you mean the 'Color Class' filter widget?

Quote from: BradTollefson
  • Have "tag" check boxes match those in the rest of the application.

Planned.

• The expand "pluses" in the navigator don't seem to match the rest of the designs. They appear boxy.

I haven't found a way to override their drawing yet.

• Match the drop down menu to the selected color scheme.

I haven't found a way to override their drawing either and I'm not sure it would be well received if I did.

• A few times the menu bar has been a harsh sky blue, but I haven't been able to recreate it.

It's a bug.  It happens when you leave PM5 open and put your system to sleep.  When reawakened, the bug presents itself.

• Maybe give secondary screens (Stationary Pad, Structured Keywords, etc.) drop shadows to distinguish them from the screen below.

I have no idea how to do that.  The OS draws the windows and handles layering.

Structured Keywords
  • The horizontal scroll doesn't automatically shrink back down to an original size after digging into a deeper level and then moving back to the beginning.
  • Keywords with child items don't have an arrow to identify you can move deeper unless you select it.

I'll have to look into those two when I get a chance.

• The green for synonyms is nice, but it is odd compared to the rest of the application. Perhaps just leave it bold?

People complained that they couldn't tell the difference between synonyms and regular keywords with bold text alone.  They're much more obvious now. ;)

Preview
  • When using ctrl+w to close the screen, it also closes the contact sheet. Whereas "Close" and "esc" it just exits out of the preview but leaves open the contact sheet.

Thanks for noting that.  I have fixed it for the next beta.

• The panes don't individually minimize without dragging them shut.

True but that's what the toolbar buttons (and keyboard shortcuts) are for.  'F' instantly toggles them all closed.

Odd Things
  • I haven't been able to scroll anywhere without first clicking in the area the cursor is. Well actually, I can scroll through the contact sheet and preview thumbnails when hovering over them.

Standard Windows behavior (one that I really don't like).  At least for me on my system, I can't make any window scroll with the mouse wheel unless the window has focus (has been clicked into).

• I'm not sure if it is intended or not, but I accidentally discovered that I can view multiple contact sheets simultaneously by dragging them.

Intentional!

• As I stated in another thread, the crops only stick when the frame number is 0000. I'm sure there is a larger cause, linked to why the frame number was reset. I just haven't found it yet.

If you can help us reproduce this issue by supplying sample images, any XMP sidecar files, etc. that would be most appreciated.

Otherwise everything looks great, and keeps getting better with each new beta.
Also, can we expect OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility once they're both released? My office is planning to update everything around late August.

We plan to have compatibility with Mountain Lion when it ships.

Thanks,

-Kirk