Author Topic: PM5Beta - thanks for the color fix, where did the "Add tag, color class" dialog.  (Read 1570 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
go? 

Thanks for fixing the color scheme on the Stationery pad, my eyes REALLY thank you!

As you may see from my "general" post on star ratings and color class, I have noticed that the "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP" is no longer on the Files tab of preferences.  Is this now just done automatically, or is there a different set of settings I need for LR4?  I would prefer to have both the Star and Color ratings make it to LR, but if that requres a sidecar file, just having the Star ratings is OK as well.

Just want to be sure I am not missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
go? 

Thanks for fixing the color scheme on the Stationery pad, my eyes REALLY thank you!

As you may see from my "general" post on star ratings and color class, I have noticed that the "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP" is no longer on the Files tab of preferences.  Is this now just done automatically, or is there a different set of settings I need for LR4?  I would prefer to have both the Star and Color ratings make it to LR, but if that requres a sidecar file, just having the Star ratings is OK as well.

It has been removed because the settings other than For all Photos just don't make sense anymore with today's XMP-centric metadata flow.

Interoperability between PM and LR4 really requires that you use XMP sidecar files.  LR will never update embedded XMP since it refuses to modify RAW files.  (With the exception of DNG files, of course since they only support embedded XMP metadata).  If you don't use XMP sidecar files, LR will pickup on changes you make in PM, but PM won't pickup on changes you make in LR since LR won't update the embedded XMP.

I'd be really surprised to see that a change in Star Rating in LR would show up in PM if you don't have LR generate updated XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks, Kirk,  that all makes sense, it was me thinking too hard I fear.

No intent to change Star ratings or do Color coding in LR, the Star ratings are more than sufficient for me.  And given that I don't want sidecars, I think the smart thing for me to do is to simply use Star ratings, which are the one thing that seems to work across them all.

Ah, standardization, must drive you folks crazy trying to keep up with it!  ;)