Author Topic: PM 5 Catalogue release date?  (Read 47005 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Re: PM 5 Catalogue release date?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

or if not in 2013 then mid to end 2014  ;)

(sorry, could not resist)
[/quote]

Post was 2113... To give plenty of time  (humor?)
[/quote]

LOL ... OK, that's on me :-)

Offline tdiaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
Quote from: CameraBits.com
Photo Mechanic’s Catalog is the same Photo Mechanic you know and love, with an added SQL database that provides top-notch speed and search flexibility, allowing you to search through thousands of photos in seconds.  You can scan for photos and movies, add photos to the catalog during Photo Mechanic’s powerful Ingest and Live Ingest, and search for simple words or by complex queries.  Photo Mechanic Catalog allows you to share your catalog with multiple users.

Perhaps this should be updated to say:

Photo Mechanic’s Catalog is slated to be the same Photo Mechanic you know and love, with an added SQL database that will provide top-notch speed and search flexibility, that will allow you to search through thousands of photos in seconds.  You'll be able to scan for photos and movies, add photos to the catalog during Photo Mechanic’s powerful Ingest and Live Ingest, and search for simple words or by complex queries.  With Photo Mechanic Catalog you'll be able to share your catalog with multiple users.

Because what is there right now implies that it's available, and from what I'm seeing in previous posts/threads, that it's been quite overdue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Quote from: CameraBits.com
Photo Mechanic’s Catalog is the same Photo Mechanic you know and love, with an added SQL database that provides top-notch speed and search flexibility, allowing you to search through thousands of photos in seconds.  You can scan for photos and movies, add photos to the catalog during Photo Mechanic’s powerful Ingest and Live Ingest, and search for simple words or by complex queries.  Photo Mechanic Catalog allows you to share your catalog with multiple users.

Perhaps this should be updated to say:

Photo Mechanic’s Catalog is slated to be the same Photo Mechanic you know and love, with an added SQL database that will provide top-notch speed and search flexibility, that will allow you to search through thousands of photos in seconds.  You'll be able to scan for photos and movies, add photos to the catalog during Photo Mechanic’s powerful Ingest and Live Ingest, and search for simple words or by complex queries.  With Photo Mechanic Catalog you'll be able to share your catalog with multiple users.

Because what is there right now implies that it's available, and from what I'm seeing in previous posts/threads, that it's been quite overdue.

Indeed.

-Kirk

Offline tdiaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
Almost two more months.. and not a peep :(

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
This is ONLY a request for more information from Dennis, and DEFINITELY NOT a complaint?

For at least 5 years, Camera Bits has been more than generously open about the development of a Catalog version for PM
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2729.msg12555#msg12555

There was a version in test with a large customer and was demonstrated at PhotoPlus in Nov 2011.
But after that, it was back to development, from which it would appear ????? that performance was an issue for large shared catalogs.

But then there was a hint that a single user version of the catalog addon might be possible
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6975.msg32595#msg32595

So my question for Dennis is:
Is the version under development just a multiuser version or will there also be a single user version of the SQL based catalog addon for PM5 where performance constraints might be more amenable to a solution.

Many thanks

Jim

Offline jknotzke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »

As someone who runs his own startup, what I would do to have users who so desperately want to see a product released..

What a fantastic problem to have. ;-)

J

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »

As someone who runs his own startup, what I would do to have users who so desperately want to see a product released..

What a fantastic problem to have. ;-)

J

Yes, but think of the pressure of pleasing them all the people out of the box.  The longer it takes, the more right is has to be I'm afraid! :)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
Unfortunately for me, I re-purchased PM specifically because of the "upcoming catalog release", and now I find myself in a real bind, my old catalog process is now over a year out of date, it is very difficult for me to manage my images, and I now have to decide, yet again, which direction to go.

Lightroom is not, in my opinion, a robust enough catalog system.  Worse yet I don't want to import all my images into LR, for numerous reasons.

I could, of course, continue to ingest and tag in PM, use my old catalog program to catalog, process in LR.  That is just one more process in the chain and yet another set of keywords to get out of sync, not mention any other issues with how keywords and such are stored.

The beauty of a PM Catalog is that the keywords would be stored correctly and seamlessly, this is of course a guess, as we cannot see what the Catalog will do, but I think it is a good guess.

I would like someone from Camerabits to tell us what you would like us to do at this point in time.  I am guessing that I am not the only one who re-purchased a license based on the statement made a year ago.  A number of other small organizations have built catalog products which robustly mangage, in a timely fashion, catalogs of 100,000 or more images, certainly in the single user case, there are several who also have been successful with multi-user catalogs. 

With no visibility, and no response from Camerabits on progress, I am left with few options.  The first is to continue with PM and potential keyword issues with a different cataloging program, or not catalog at all.  Not catalogin at all has now become untenable.

My question to Camerabits is, how long do you expect that we should wait on faith?  Or do you have any recommendations on how, in a PC environment, to reliaby build a workflow around PM with another robust Catalog product?

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
As for me, I would rather wait for PM to finish its program than use another Catalogue. At least I am sure it will work fine and possibly overcome our expectations.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline lanzi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
I was waiting long enough and finally switched my entire catalog to neofinder. a more than robust catalog software, networkable, robust, fast and more than i can ask for from a catalog program.
support is great. business licenses really affordable and it works great with photomachanic. all iptc etc infos are compatible.
i just had enough of the waiting game. seriously! announcing a piece of software and than taking more than five years and still no proper announcement is a joke.
usually that is a sign that the software has been canned internally. from my point of view i really don't care anymore about the catalog version of camerabits.

as mentioned neofinder is more than an alternative solution. i would give it a try.
my catalog consists of 280.000 raw, 16 bit tif and jpeg files. the files being stored on a synology ds 1215+ and neofinder running on a dedicated mac mini it took less than 12 hours to catalog my entire library. search and find options are amazing, catalog size is 4.5 gig and super snappy and fast. proxies are gorgeous, and the best thing - timed autocataloging works a treat. i come home, hook up my field drive to my network, a script runs and copies my files onto the nas, neofinder sees changes and starts cataloging away. easy as! seriously give it a try, start working with your files today and stop waiting for a piece of software that might never arrive.

Lightroom is not, in my opinion, a robust enough catalog system.  Worse yet I don't want to import all my images into LR, for numerous reasons.

My question to Camerabits is, how long do you expect that we should wait on faith?  Or do you have any recommendations on how, in a PC environment, to reliaby build a workflow around PM with another robust Catalog product?

Offline mvalent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 02:28:05 AM »
Unfortunately Neofinder is a MAC OS product, I am looking for a MSWindows product and @retief probably too, since he is looking for a "PC environment". I totally agree with you, the catalog feature of Photo Mechanic is like a ghost product. My guess is that it will remain like that forever. I know there are still believers around, good luck to them. :-)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Unfortunately Neofinder is a MAC OS product, I am looking for a MSWindows product and @retief probably too, since he is looking for a "PC environment". I totally agree with you, the catalog feature of Photo Mechanic is like a ghost product. My guess is that it will remain like that forever. I know there are still believers around, good luck to them. :-)

You might look at IDimager Photo Supreme.  I used iMatch and switched to IDimager then to Supreme.  I'm on Windows 7.  This is a Windows and Mac product.

Woodie

Offline lanzi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
hi mvalent, that is not entirely correct. there is a windows version, which has another name.
unfortunately cross promotion is not allowed in this forum (which i can understand from camerabits point of view). so i can't name it
search google and you will find it.

Offline tdiaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
_Five Years_ ...

I wouldn't call it cross-promotion. If in 5 years they still don't have a product, there's no competition.

I bought into Photo Mechanic because it appeared that the cataloging option might be released "soon".

If it comes two years from now, that's still sooner than it was five years ago.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
I'm a firm beleiver of PM Cataloging coming. I'm sure Kirk and the rest of the Camera Bits team is working on it hard.

Until they manage to roll it out, I too use NeoFinder (Windows version is called abeMeda - formerly they were called CDfinder and CDwinder).
They are good and efficient programmes, but I'm sure the PM integrated solution will be much better once it will be available. And I too can't wait to get my hands on it - but pushing it won't help the team to make it faster.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com