Author Topic: PM5RC2 - JPEG quality very low & preview size  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
PM5RC2 - JPEG quality very low & preview size
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I just intalled RC2 on a WIN7 64bit system and noticed that the JPEG quality is very poor compared to the same when created with PM4.6.9 or RC1. I attached 2 sample pics, both created with the same "save as" settings, one with PM5RC1 and one with PM5RC2.

Also, in the preview window, pictures that were at 100% smaller than the preview window size (for example 600x400 px) did scale to fill the preview window when the "zoom" box was not checked. That is not the case any longer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:07:52 PM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5RC2 - JPEG quality very low & preview size
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Juerg,

I just intalled RC2 on a WIN7 64bit system and noticed that the JPEG quality is very poor compared to the same when created with PM4.6.9 or RC1. I attached 2 sample pics, both created with the same "save as" settings, one with PM5RC1 and one with PM5RC2.

I'd like to see those settings.  Add a JPEG screen shot to your reply.

Quote from: archer69
Also, in the preview window, pictures that were at 100% smaller than the preview window size (for example 600x400 px) did scale to fill the preview window when the "zoom" box was not checked. That is not the case any longer.

Did you uncheck the checkbox labeled "Enlarge photos to fit previews and slide show" in the Preview preferences?

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'd like to see those settings.  Add a JPEG screen shot to your reply.

I attached a screen shot of my "saved as" dialogue. Please note that this was saved as a preset in V4.6.9 a while ago and it worked well in the with version V4.6.9 and V5RC1, but results in very poor quality usind V5RC2.

BUT, here is what happens:

I select a picture, right click and open the "save as" dialogue and select my saved preset as shown in attachment 1. Then I hit OK -> saved picture results in the poor quality.

THEN I go back and open the "saved as" dialogue again, which should now show the values from the last used setting as shown in attachement 1. BUT it shows now the settings as seen in attachement 2 with the JPEG quality set to the minimum AUTOMATICAL, and that was apperently used when it executed the "saved as" option.

I tried different "save as" presets that I have stored, and this happens with each and every one of them: no matter what JPEG quality is selected in the preset, it's reduced to the minimum by PM when when the "saved as" comand is executed.

NOW, just to check I changed the JPEG quality setting to the max and executed the "save as" function. It worked, except that NOW whenever I load a "saved as" preset and execute it, the JPEG quality setting is overwriten with the MAXIMUM setting.

Basically, whatever manual JPEG quality setting I set in the "save as" dialogue prior to executing it will be used from there on until I change it again. JPEG quality settings stored in presets are just overwritten.

Quote from: archer69

Did you uncheck the checkbox labeled "Enlarge photos to fit previews and slide show" in the Preview preferences?

Well, that's it. I don't know why the checkbox "Enlarge photos to fit previews and slide show" was suddenly unchecked after the update to V5RC2. I certainly did NOT change anything in the preferences. Could it be that I should have uninstalled V5RC1 first before installing V5RC2. The way I did it was just "reinstall/update".

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:10:43 PM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Juerg,

You mentioned attachment 1 & 2, but there is only one attachment.  Could you add the second attachment as well.

Re: lost settings.  I don't know what may have caused it, but the installer doesn't do anything with preferences data.

-Kirk

P.S. How about attaching your snapshot file as well?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:14:11 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:36:36 AM »
Kirk,
You mentioned attachment 1 & 2, but there is only one attachment.  Could you add the second attachment as well.
I attached both screenshots once again :-)

Re: lost settings.  I don't know what may have caused it, but the installer doesn't do anything with preferences data.
Don't know either. The only thing I know is that I didn't touch the preferences for a long time.

P.S. How about attaching your snapshot file as well?
I attached one as a reference. All other snapshots that I have saved show the same behaviour. And I also just did a test with 4.6.9. There everything is fine, as it was with V5RC1. Somehow V5RC2 now shows that behaviour.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
Juerg,

Thank you for the samples.  I was able to reproduce the problem and have fixed it.  The fix will appear in the next build.

Thanks,

-Kirk