Author Topic: GPS How To  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS How To
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
PM 4.6.9 MAC Intel  Core 2 Duo OX 10.8
OK, I can get my GPS files into PM only when I have an image selected, is that correct?
PM doesn't seem to remember any of the files I have brought in from previous tagging, are the GPS files not saved?
Is a reverse geotagging capability in the offing

As Always - Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS How To
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
PM 4.6.9 MAC Intel  Core 2 Duo OX 10.8
OK, I can get my GPS files into PM only when I have an image selected, is that correct?

In general, that's correct.  There are ways of operating on a single image without selecting it (by right-clicking on an item and choosing a command from the contextual menu that appears) but in general you select a group of items that you want to operate on and then choose a command from the menubar.

Quote from: JoesboyPM doesn't seem to remember any of the files I have brought in from previous tagging, are the GPS files not saved?[/quote

What kind of files did you set GPS coordinates on?  Which command did you use to set the GPS coordinates?

Quote from: Joesboy
Is a reverse geotagging capability in the offing

No, not at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
My GPS writes NMEA 0183 sentences, my process is to select an image then under the File Menu I import GPS coords, select a file an click Add. It applies the GPS to the selected image and I then click Import and go back to the main window. If I select another image, I have to go through the same process, no GPS file are available without re-importing. So, is there not a database of GPS files stored?
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
My GPS writes NMEA 0183 sentences, my process is to select an image then under the File Menu I import GPS coords, select a file an click Add. It applies the GPS to the selected image and I then click Import and go back to the main window. If I select another image, I have to go through the same process, no GPS file are available without re-importing. So, is there not a database of GPS files stored?

Make sure you're working on images that have been downloaded to your computer's hard drive.  Do not edit on your camera card.

Select all of your images.  Then go into the Import GPS Coordinates dialog.  Make any adjustments to time offsets to get the capture time of your photos to line up with your GPS log.  Then click the Import button.  Now your images will have GPS coordinates from your log embedded into the photos themselves.

No database necessary.  Your photos will carry their GPS coordinates wherever you send them.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:46 AM »
Ok Kirk, that's the way PM works, not being critical but fyi I like the way PhotoLinker works better, it stores all my tracks in a database and I can use the tracks for other project data. But if I Ingest into PM first, the reverse geotagging in Photolinker seems to disappear or PM doesn't display the location data.  But at least I wasn't using PM wrong, thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »
Ok Kirk, that's the way PM works, not being critical but fyi I like the way PhotoLinker works better, it stores all my tracks in a database and I can use the tracks for other project data. But if I Ingest into PM first, the reverse geotagging in Photolinker seems to disappear or PM doesn't display the location data.  But at least I wasn't using PM wrong, thanks

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but most people just want the GPS coordinates to be added to the EXIF data in their photos so that other applications will find them in the photos themselves.

-Kirk

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
Not to belabor the point but I like to make KML track files without the pictures, I continually record the GPS, not just when I take a picture. The tracks are useful adjuncts to presentations etc. Not to mention my spouses birding activity where GPS coords are used on world data bases to track bird populations and occurrences.