Author Topic: How do I keep the selected item on screen?  (Read 3591 times)

Offline danecreekphotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How do I keep the selected item on screen?
« on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
When I'm doing a shoot I will protect images on the back of the camera that are candidates. My first pass of processing in Photo Mechanic is to set the filter to "Tagged" and look through in grid view what's marked. Sometimes I'll find a photo that isn't quite right, and I suspect the untagged photos around it are better.

When I change the filter to "All", however, the image I have selected is no longer on screen. Instead the whole view resets and scrolls to the top. I then have to scroll down hunting through 1000 images to find the one that was selected prior to changing the filter. It's still selected, it just isn't on screen anymore.

Seems like my processing method here isn't that unusual. What am I missing in PM that will make this easier? How can I keep the selected image visible on screen after changing a filter?

Thanks!

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How do I keep the selected item on screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
Neil,

When I'm doing a shoot I will protect images on the back of the camera that are candidates. My first pass of processing in Photo Mechanic is to set the filter to "Tagged" and look through in grid view what's marked. Sometimes I'll find a photo that isn't quite right, and I suspect the untagged photos around it are better.

When I change the filter to "All", however, the image I have selected is no longer on screen. Instead the whole view resets and scrolls to the top. I then have to scroll down hunting through 1000 images to find the one that was selected prior to changing the filter. It's still selected, it just isn't on screen anymore.

Seems like my processing method here isn't that unusual. What am I missing in PM that will make this easier? How can I keep the selected image visible on screen after changing a filter?

If you only have one photo selected, press one of the arrow keys and then press the opposite arrow key.  The screen will scroll to make your selected item visible and pressing the opposite arrow key will put your selection back to the original item.

I agree that after filtering that your selected photo should be made visible.   At this point I'd either suspect a bug in the filtering logic or a missing implementation.  But the above should be a useful workaround.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Unfortunately that workaround doesn't work :( Focus is still in the dropdown for changing the filter type, so if I press one of the arrow keys it changes the filter. To get rid of focus in the dropdown I have to click into the grid, which changes my selected item.

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
Neil,

Unfortunately that workaround doesn't work :( Focus is still in the dropdown for changing the filter type, so if I press one of the arrow keys it changes the filter. To get rid of focus in the dropdown I have to click into the grid, which changes my selected item.

Try clicking on the Contact Sheet tab instead of clicking back in the Contact Sheet itself.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Kirk,

Just wanted to report back that clicking on the Contact Sheet tab is a viable workaround. It'd be nice if I didn't have to click on it though :)

Neil