Author Topic: PM5 hangs after Save as... (win)  (Read 2984 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
PM5 hangs after Save as... (win)
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Using PM5 and Win7.  When I do a save as... the files are created properly but PM frequently hangs up "forever".  The involved folders are on another Win7 machine accessed on the network.   It is not 100% consistent but I've had to End Task at least 4 times today while doing a dozen or so Save as... operations.

Any ideas? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 hangs after Save as... (win)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Using PM5 and Win7.  When I do a save as... the files are created properly but PM frequently hangs up "forever".  The involved folders are on another Win7 machine accessed on the network.   It is not 100% consistent but I've had to End Task at least 4 times today while doing a dozen or so Save as... operations.

Any ideas?

No, nothing that would just "solve it."

What does PM look like when it hangs?  Is the progress dialog still up?  Or are you back in the contact sheet but it is unresponsive?

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:24:09 AM »
OK...  I took a much closer look at what is going here, at least for the case I am looking at while I type this.

1.  I had the Preview window and the main thumbnail window both open
2.  I did a Save as... to a subfolder of the folder of the selected (single) image for which I am trying to do the Save As...
3.  The target folder did not exist when I initiated the Save As... and both folders are on a mapped network drive
4.  PM is "hung"
5.  The new folder now exists, as well as the image and I think this was the case every time
6.  The Progress window still displays - it is completely blank, without text in the body of the window.  The window title displays "Progress"
7.  I think this is the key.  The main thumbnail window generally cannot be seen BUT... If I hover the cursor over the PM task bar icon and then raise the cursor to the (new Win7 larger "window thumbnail" that pops up, the full thumbnail window displays.  The Navigator panel is empty.  However, the vertical scrill bar is scrolling around as if the app is trying to modify the folder tree (which is not displaying).  In other words I see a blank navigator panel with a vertical scroll bar drag button bouncing up and down.  If this is not clear I took print screens. (edit:  see attached)

Yesterday I had a similar thing happen under different circumstances but at the time I did not see the connection.  In that case I had the folder tree opened up to a branch in the Navigator panel and I deleted a folder in that opened tree branch, but I deleted it using Win Explorer I think (something other than PM).  PM got hung up, with the same blank navigator panel, and the same bouncing vertical scroll bar drag button.  It appears that PM is trying to rebuild the Navigator tree but is somehow in an endless loop.

I think you have a version that spits out a debugging log.  If you think that would help I would be happy to try that.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:29 AM »
Neil,

OK...  I took a much closer look at what is going here, at least for the case I am looking at while I type this.

1.  I had the Preview window and the main thumbnail window both open
2.  I did a Save as... to a subfolder of the folder of the selected (single) image for which I am trying to do the Save As...

From which window did you initiate the Save As operation?  The Preview window or the Contact Sheet window?

Quote from: NeilR
3.  The target folder did not exist when I initiated the Save As... and both folders are on a mapped network drive
4.  PM is "hung"
5.  The new folder now exists, as well as the image and I think this was the case every time
6.  The Progress window still displays - it is completely blank, without text in the body of the window.  The window title displays "Progress"
7.  I think this is the key.  The main thumbnail window generally cannot be seen BUT... If I hover the cursor over the PM task bar icon and then raise the cursor to the (new Win7 larger "window thumbnail" that pops up, the full thumbnail window displays.  The Navigator panel is empty.  However, the vertical scrill bar is scrolling around as if the app is trying to modify the folder tree (which is not displaying).  In other words I see a blank navigator panel with a vertical scroll bar drag button bouncing up and down.  If this is not clear I took print screens. (edit:  see attached)

Are you able to use the rest of the Contact Sheet window, including selecting photos, scrolling them around, etc. or is it non-responsive?

Quote from: NeilR
Yesterday I had a similar thing happen under different circumstances but at the time I did not see the connection.  In that case I had the folder tree opened up to a branch in the Navigator panel and I deleted a folder in that opened tree branch, but I deleted it using Win Explorer I think (something other than PM).  PM got hung up, with the same blank navigator panel, and the same bouncing vertical scroll bar drag button.  It appears that PM is trying to rebuild the Navigator tree but is somehow in an endless loop.

I think you have a version that spits out a debugging log.  If you think that would help I would be happy to try that.

Maybe a bit later, I'd like to find out as much as I can and perhaps find a way to reproduce the problem locally.

Thanks,

-Kirk