Author Topic: Replaced color for overexposed area  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Sesshoku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Replaced color for overexposed area
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Hello,

I started working tonight on a trail running event I photographed in the snow yesterday. Suddenly, for the first time in several years working with various versions of Photo Mechanic, overexposed areas in the files were colored red in the preview images. I've never experienced this feature while using Photo Mechanic. While shooting the event, I had my son doing initial editing, and my first guess was that he changed a setting that I cannot seem to locate in order to change back.

Is this a new feature? Most importantly, is there a way to shut that feature off? As you can imagine with images shot in snow scenes, there has been a lot of red in the previews. I cannot describe how incredibly distracting this has been to try to edit through a couple thousand images.

I found this topic: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7431.msg35137#msg35137. There was a post in that topic about shutting the feature off, but I've not been able to make that work for me. I hope it is something ridiculously simple so I can just chalk this up to me being ignorant.

I am running the latest build of PM 5 (13507) on a MacBook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16gb ram) using OSX 10.7.5

Thank you for your time.

Chad

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Replaced color for overexposed area
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
Chad,

I started working tonight on a trail running event I photographed in the snow yesterday. Suddenly, for the first time in several years working with various versions of Photo Mechanic, overexposed areas in the files were colored red in the preview images. I've never experienced this feature while using Photo Mechanic. While shooting the event, I had my son doing initial editing, and my first guess was that he changed a setting that I cannot seem to locate in order to change back.

Is this a new feature? Most importantly, is there a way to shut that feature off? As you can imagine with images shot in snow scenes, there has been a lot of red in the previews. I cannot describe how incredibly distracting this has been to try to edit through a couple thousand images.

I found this topic: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7431.msg35137#msg35137. There was a post in that topic about shutting the feature off, but I've not been able to make that work for me. I hope it is something ridiculously simple so I can just chalk this up to me being ignorant.

I am running the latest build of PM 5 (13507) on a MacBook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16gb ram) using OSX 10.7.5

Have you set the Highlights and Shadows feature off in the controls pane on the right side of the Preview window?

-Kirk

Offline Sesshoku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced color for overexposed area
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
Kirk,

"Have you set the Highlights and Shadows feature off in the controls pane on the right side of the Preview window?"

That must have been the setting that was changed and that I couldn't find. Looked and looked, and low and behold there was a scroll bar there that led me right to the solution. I hoped it was a simple fix, and so it was. Thank you for your help.

Chad