Author Topic: Difference between iptcdate and datesort  (Read 1663 times)

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Difference between iptcdate and datesort
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:47 AM »
Hi,

can anyone explain me the difference between these two variables?

Thank,
fg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Difference between iptcdate and datesort
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »
can anyone explain me the difference between these two variables?

datesort or dats:   "Capture date of photo according to camera or file creation time.  This can be used for sorting since the format is always YYYYMMDD."
iptcdate or idat:      "IPTC Date field (YYYYMMDD)."

The output format of them is exactly the same.  Even the values can be exactly the same if you wish to modify the IPTC Date field to match the Capture date, but they're in actuality completely independent dates.  Capture date is set by the camera when the photo is taken and can be adjusted in PM via the Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool (accessible from the Tools menu).  The IPTC Date can be set on a photo by photo basis in the IPTC Info dialog or more efficiently via the IPTC Stationery Pad in bulk. 

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline fastgrapher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
all right, thats why i see no difference, because i use the capture time in the iptc.

thanks kirk!

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
As I understand IPTC date is a date format IPTC field that you can modify as you wish to your liking and personal needs. If you wish you can store birth dates of the photo subject if it is important for a photo archive like the portraits of the employees of your company - say editorial portraits of the authors or ID photos for accreditations. But you can also use it to store first publication or copyright registry dates for some pictures. Or other dates that might be important to your photography like production dates of historic cars you photograph or any other custom uses you can come up that can be some times greatly different than capture, file creation and file modification times.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com