Author Topic: Slow to start ingest....  (Read 6567 times)

Offline bsipe9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow to start ingest....
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
I've been using PM 5 since October (was on 4.? before) without issue.  I'm running Win7 SP1 x64 on a pretty high end laptop using a Lexar USB 3.0 reader and primarily Lexar 1000x CF cards.  It's primarily a work laptop and worked as usual on Friday.  On Saturday however, it started this new behavior.  Before, upon putting in a card and clicking Ingest it would begin Ingesting immediately and would finish a 400MB ingest in literally a few seconds.  Now upon clicking ingest, it pauses for at least 15 seconds and often much more before starting the ingest.  Half the time, during this pause, PM will show as Not Responding.  It eventually resumes though and the ingest time itself is still super fast.  This pause though, short as it may be (am I nitpicking over 15-45 seconds?) is annoying since it never did it before.

I've already tried uninstalling PM, cleaning up my registry and reinstalling.  I even tried that process again only going to an older build (13507 instead of 13645) and it hasn't helped.  Bypassing PM and copying pics straight from the card is still lightning fast so I think I've ruled out the card/card reader/usb drivers.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:  Half the time it pops up the window I've attached.  Again, that never happened before two days ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:20:02 PM by bsipe9 »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow to start ingest....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
I've been using PM 5 since October (was on 4.? before) without issue.  I'm running Win7 SP1 x64 on a pretty high end laptop using a Lexar USB 3.0 reader and primarily Lexar 1000x CF cards.  It's primarily a work laptop and worked as usual on Friday.  On Saturday however, it started this new behavior.  Before, upon putting in a card and clicking Ingest it would begin Ingesting immediately and would finish a 400MB ingest in literally a few seconds.  Now upon clicking ingest, it pauses for at least 15 seconds and often much more before starting the ingest.  Half the time, during this pause, PM will show as Not Responding.  It eventually resumes though and the ingest time itself is still super fast.  This pause though, short as it may be (am I nitpicking over 15-45 seconds?) is annoying since it never did it before.

I've already tried uninstalling PM, cleaning up my registry and reinstalling.  I even tried that process again only going to an older build (13507 instead of 13645) and it hasn't helped.  Bypassing PM and copying pics straight from the card is still lightning fast so I think I've ruled out the card/card reader/usb drivers.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:  Half the time it pops up the window I've attached.  Again, that never happened before two days ago.

Were you previously not renaming your photos during ingest or were you not using the {seqn} variable in your renaming when you were renaming?  Please post a screen shot of your Ingest dialog settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bsipe9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
I've attached my ingest settings, and no they did not change between Friday and Saturday.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:59:49 PM by bsipe9 »

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
I've attached my ingest settings, and no they did not change between Friday and Saturday.

Do you usually browse on the card before Ingest and are not doing that anymore?  Anything you can think of that has changed in your routine?  Has the number of images you've shot on the card changed significantly?

Are you running any utilities that might scan the card once it is inserted that could use up some of the bandwidth of your reader while PM is initially trying to access the card?  Does the Ingest proceed quickly once the scan is complete?

-Kirk

Offline bsipe9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
I've been doing this using the same process for three + years.  This fall I updated PM, my laptop, cards and card reader and everything flew.  Starting Saturday though, once I click Ingest, there is a noticeable pause before the Ingest actually begins (again, sometimes I get the Scanning popup I attached other times it just seems to hang).  Once the ingest actually begins, it goes as fast as I'd expect it to go.

As a test (I'm working now) I copied pics to a folder on my desktop and then ingested from that folder into my work folder and it paused just like it was when ingesting from directly from the card.  That rules out the card/reader completely.  Hmmmm.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
I've been doing this using the same process for three + years.  This fall I updated PM, my laptop, cards and card reader and everything flew.  Starting Saturday though, once I click Ingest, there is a noticeable pause before the Ingest actually begins (again, sometimes I get the Scanning popup I attached other times it just seems to hang).  Once the ingest actually begins, it goes as fast as I'd expect it to go.

As a test (I'm working now) I copied pics to a folder on my desktop and then ingested from that folder into my work folder and it paused just like it was when ingesting from directly from the card.  That rules out the card/reader completely.  Hmmmm.

Well, if you're willing to run a logging version of Photo Mechanic, and give us the logs, we'll be happy to look into it further.  Please let me know if you'd like to proceed.

-Kirk

Offline bsipe9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
Whatever it takes.  I've been changing around the ingest options to test things out.  If I change the Open Contact Sheets During Ingest - to - After Ingest, the ingest starts immediately like it was when things were going great but then right before the ingest task bar hits 100% it pauses for the same 15-45 seconds before finishing.  So it seems more and more like it's the open contact sheet part that's really to blame for this new issue.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
Whatever it takes.  I've been changing around the ingest options to test things out.  If I change the Open Contact Sheets During Ingest - to - After Ingest, the ingest starts immediately like it was when things were going great but then right before the ingest task bar hits 100% it pauses for the same 15-45 seconds before finishing.  So it seems more and more like it's the open contact sheet part that's really to blame for this new issue.

Do you have a lot of items expanded in your Favorites or Navigator?

-Kirk

Offline bsipe9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »
I don't use Favorites.  I have only four folders on my desktop, specifically to keep the Navigator uncluttered.  Of those, I have one folder I use for work, and it has 7 sub folders.  Again, this scenario hasn't changed.