Author Topic: Card Reading  (Read 6382 times)

Offline nealjackson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Card Reading
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:55:09 AM »
For some reason my computer (PC/XP) will not read my USB SanDisk CF card reader without using the SanDisk program that comes with the reader.  This of course complicates (that is, seems to make impossible) a PM ingest directly from the card.

When the reader is plugged into the USB port it generates the standard "clunk" sound.  But it does not show up on My Computer.  I assume that because of this PM cannot read it.

Whazza story here?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Card Reading
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »
For some reason my computer (PC/XP) will not read my USB SanDisk CF card reader without using the SanDisk program that comes with the reader.  This of course complicates (that is, seems to make impossible) a PM ingest directly from the card.

When the reader is plugged into the USB port it generates the standard "clunk" sound.  But it does not show up on My Computer.  I assume that because of this PM cannot read it.

Whazza story here?

That is really odd.  Photo Mechanic "knows" nothing about card readers specifically.  We just use operating system routines for scanning for files, reading files, writing files, etc.  So basically if you cannot use Windows Explorer to view the contents of your card and copy the files from your card to your hard drive, then neither will Photo Mechanic be able to ingest from the reader.

I'd say there is something defective about the reader.  What happens if you just uninstall the SanDisk software and then use the card reader?

-Kirk

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Card Reading
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »
Just browsing around the site and came across this post, which is interesting because I have a similar issue:  My card reader has no problem reading compact flash cards from my Nikon D70 on my Macbook pro (OS 10.4), and immediately mounts the disk image on the desk top, labelled "Nikon D70" and Photomechanic opens properly to import the files.  Same behaviour when I plug the camera directly into the USB port on the Macbook.  However, when I put an SD card in from my wife's Canon SD 630, the light on the reader comes on, but nothing else happens, doesn't mount, doesn't open PM.  Similarly, plugging the SD630 directly into the computer produces no response.  Loading the Canon software that came with the computer seems to be the only way to import the photos.  So I wonder--is it something about the canon format on the card that the computer cannot read without the canon software?  Neal, what kind of camera are you using?