Author Topic: Send to edit in Aperture-But Photographer/Creator IPTC field wrong  (Read 2342 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Hello,
OS X 10.8.2
PM Version 5.0, build 13764 (7b2b451)

I'm having trouble with the "photographer / Creator" field in Aperture 3.4.3

On a photo ingested w PM:
If I choose to edit in Lightroom or Photoshop then the IPTC Photographer/Creator field is filled with the expected entry as appears in PM
however
If I choose to send the photo from PM to edit in Aperture 3.4.3 then the Photographer/Creator field maps to (what I think is) the "Camera Comment" or "Camera Owner" field, and not the expected Photographer/Creator entry.

As a test I had ingested w PM, then sent an image to edit either in Lightroom or else in Photoshop, and then sent that image to Aperture, which displayed the correct result in the Photographer/Creator IPTC field.
So clearly this is happening only when I send an image from PM to Aperture.
I'm puzzled.
Best,
N

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Re: Send to edit in Aperture-But Photographer/Creator IPTC field wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
I'm adding a screen grab of my IPTC Prefs:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
OK,
I'm beginning to believe in self-healing software.
I went through a couple of days of what I described in the above post.
Now, however, just back from a shoot, and everything is suddenly normal in my latest ingest and send-to-edit to Aperture. I got my photographer's name back in the correct IPTC field.
??
Cheers,
N

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
 :(
Did another shoot tonight and managed to get correct info in photographer field.
filed several images and all went without error. so i quit both aperture and PM.

then decided to file another image, fired up aperture and PM and Holy Guacamole, I'm back to getting error in photographer field.
sigh.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Nati,

Did another shoot tonight and managed to get correct info in photographer field.
filed several images and all went without error. so i quit both aperture and PM.

then decided to file another image, fired up aperture and PM and Holy Guacamole, I'm back to getting error in photographer field.

Perhaps there is some way to tell Aperture to not use obsolete EXIF tags when XMP fields that supersede them are available?  Photo Mechanic will update those old EXIF tags but only if the new information fits in the place of the current tag.  Those EXIF tags are problematic since they were created far before Unicode standards were created.  XMP is always encoded in Unicode (UTF-8) and can handle any language.  EXIF tags are only expected to have 7-bit ASCII in them which means they can't handle non-English languages well.

BTW, there is no EXIF Photographer tag.  Aperture is incorrectly calling the Image Artist tag a "Photographer" tag.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the explanation.
Since Aperture does not offer good XMP/IPTC compatibility with Photo Mechanic and Lightroom/Photoshop then   
I've concluded that Aperture cannot be made to fit into my work flow.
best,
Nati