Author Topic: File Uploader, move photos after sending  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
File Uploader, move photos after sending
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
Hey Kirk,

Right now there is an option in the File Uploader (I'm using it for FTP) to "Save a copy of transmitted photos:"  I'd like to see an option to move the original to a different folder (instead of creating a copy) after it has been successfully sent.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File Uploader, move photos after sending
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
Kevin,

Right now there is an option in the File Uploader (I'm using it for FTP) to "Save a copy of transmitted photos:"  I'd like to see an option to move the original to a different folder (instead of creating a copy) after it has been successfully sent.

This is a feature that has been requested fairly often but is not able to be implemented in such a way that it would be guaranteed to always work.  The issue is that while the images are being transferred, the user could delete the original, rename it, move it, etc.  Now, I know that you wouldn't do any of those things because you wouldn't want to make the feature fail, but the possibility is still there and we think it would be quite possible for problems to happen.  It is for the above reasons that each time PM does any kind of upload it has a phase where it copies your images to a staging area that cannot be browsed by PM and thus the uploader can guarantee that the image being uploaded cannot be misplaced.  There is still the slight possibility that the user could find the staged files and muck things up by renaming/moving/deleting them, but there is only so much that PM can do to protect the user.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
It is for the above reasons that each time PM does any kind of upload it has a phase where it copies your images to a staging area that cannot be browsed by PM and thus the uploader can guarantee that the image being uploaded cannot be misplaced.
Does this mean I can go ahead and manually move the original files after the Upload dialog starts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
Kevin,

It is for the above reasons that each time PM does any kind of upload it has a phase where it copies your images to a staging area that cannot be browsed by PM and thus the uploader can guarantee that the image being uploaded cannot be misplaced.
Does this mean I can go ahead and manually move the original files after the Upload dialog starts?

Yes, absolutely.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
Awesome, thanks! I had been waiting for the upload to complete to move them assuming things worked like a normal FTP client which would then get an error because the file had disappeared.