Author Topic: Open: PM does not show model and other info for movie files  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Open: PM does not show model and other info for movie files
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
I noticed that PM does not show some vital (at least for me) info for movie files (shot with the Nikon D4). The missing info is a.o. the model name and the lens used. The info is present in the file itself, (exiftool finds it just fine), but not found by PM. It would be great if you could add this :-)

As a side note, I also noticed that PM creates a .xip file with (to my knowledge) no important info. A .xmp file is created as well, but I guess this one is required as PM is unable to embed the IPTC info into the .mov file?

If you need a sample file, just let me know and I'll create a dummy file.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:56:12 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM does not show model and other info for movie files
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
Hi Hayo,

It looks like we are creating the "old-style" XIP sidecar file when copying a movie file (MOV, etc).  This should have been disabled in PM 5 so I've removed the creation of this XIP sidecar.  PM 5 now puts all of its metadata in the XMP sidecar so there is no need for an XIP.

Also, I just happened to be working on extracting more metadata from movie files (e.g. MOV from Nikon). Hopefully we can get this in soon.  I'd really like to find stuff like the serial number that may be used during ingest (with code replacements).

Regards,

--dennis

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM does not show model and other info for movie files
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Great to hear! If you need a sample file, just let me know :)

Regarding the .xip files, they are still created with the latest version of PM5 so I guess I'll wait for the next release before I delete them.

Thanks,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl