Author Topic: Edit a single IPTC field for an entire shoot after ingesting  (Read 3056 times)

Offline j_n10

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edit a single IPTC field for an entire shoot after ingesting
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
I am just going to cut and paste my correspondence with camera bits Jon Washington.  Maybe it will become more clear that way.

I would like to make a work flow suggestion for a future update. I
regularly have to edit a single IPTC field for an entire shoot after
ingesting. It would not be uncommon for every image to have completely
different information especially in the description field. It would be
nice to be able to batch edit a single ITPC field without overwriting
the existing info in all of the other fields, (without having to do it
one image at a time). If this ability already exists and I have simply
not been able to find it I would be very interested in a tutorial.

Thank you for your time.
---------------------
response:

To make changes to a single IPTC field, simply select the photos you
wish to change the info for, bring up the IPTC stationery pad, and edit
the field(s) you wish to change. Make sure the box next to the field
you'd like to change is the only one checked. Click the "Apply
Stationery to Selected" button to apply the changes. This should be the
workflow solution you're looking for; please let me know otherwise.

Best Regards,
Jon
Camera Bits Sales
---------------------

Thank you for quick response.  It is nice to use a product with such excellent customer support.  I was thinking of something more along the lines of the attached example image.  After you have moved on to ingest other shoots it is difficult to do batch editing of the individual IPTC fields.  A drop down for each field in the IPTC Stationary Pad followed by the 'Apply Stationary to Selected' button would eliminate the need to uncheck  all but one and recheck all of the 30 to 40 fields we use with each shoot.  Even if is was an automation of the process you suggested that then returned everything back to it's original state would be much more efficient.  I hope I have made my suggestion more understandable this time.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: Edit a single IPTC field for an entire shoot after ingesting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
If I understand what you want to do, it's not necessary to check and recheck each field individually. To uncheck all but one field just select clear and then type in the field you want to modify, it automatically gets a check mark, and apply the settings.  To go back to your default or previous settings, select clear then reload the other fields using the lighting bolt (saved settings) and select the settings you've saved.  This, of course assumes you have various settings saved.  I have a very basic set of IPTC info saved and other saved IPTC sets for places, people, and events I shoot regularly.  I'm not sure if there is a limit to the number of settings you can save, someone from PM can answer that.  I believe it's only limited by disk space.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.5
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »
I agree, you should already be able to do this easily with the IPTC Stationary Pad. Just use the "lightning bolt" to save your default state with multiple fields checked. When you need to do the single field edit hit Clear, edit that field and apply. Then just reload your saved "lightning bolt" and you are back where you started.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
If the information in the field you're changing is the same in all the images then the simplest method is to use Find & Replace tool and restrict it to that one field. Hope this helps.

Chers,

Paul