Photo Mechanic > Support

Searching sub folders

(1/2) > >>

mrmaps:
I am trying out PM and so far so good. But I have a question:
I have divided my pictures into folders all under a root.  When opening that directory as a contact sheet, I can not figure out how to search from the root through all the subs.  I would like to be able to find all color coded files or all files with a simple word in them.  From a forum search, it seems that I can't do this.  But I want to be sure.

Thanks !

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: mrmaps on December 02, 2006, 07:39:05 AM ---I am trying out PM and so far so good. But I have a question:
I have divided my pictures into folders all under a root.  When opening that directory as a contact sheet, I can not figure out how to search from the root through all the subs.  I would like to be able to find all color coded files or all files with a simple word in them.  From a forum search, it seems that I can't do this.  But I want to be sure.

--- End quote ---

You are correct in that Photo Mechanic currently doesn't do this.  Photo Mechanic is primarily a browser and not a cataloger.  We do plan to add this capability in the future.

-Kirk

gajones:
I think Kirk is underselling it slightly - if you're using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), you can use PM's Search function, accessible from the Edit menu. This is based on the Spotlight search built-in to the operating system. It allows you to search your entire computer using many different IPTC and EXIF attributes (although you can't search for colour classes), and have the results displayed within Photo Mechanic.

Kirk, as a suggestion, it would be useful to be able to restrict this search to one folder (as you can from the spotlight interface).

Gareth.

Kirk Baker:
Gareth,

--- Quote from: gajones on December 02, 2006, 12:24:52 PM ---I think Kirk is underselling it slightly - if you're using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), you can use PM's Search function, accessible from the Edit menu. This is based on the Spotlight search built-in to the operating system. It allows you to search your entire computer using many different IPTC and EXIF attributes (although you can't search for colour classes), and have the results displayed within Photo Mechanic.

Kirk, as a suggestion, it would be useful to be able to restrict this search to one folder (as you can from the spotlight interface).
--- End quote ---

Do you mean that you want to only return results that match in a specific path?

-Kirk

mrmaps:
Maybe I have been not clear:
In PM, under the favorites.  I have one folder A and a bunch of sub-folders B-Z. All my pictures are in B-Z under A.  I would like to search for photos with a particular characteristic and have all of the search results displayed in the viewing window.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version