Author Topic: Nikon D7100 frame number {frame} reported incorrectly  (Read 2973 times)

Offline debrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon D7100 frame number {frame} reported incorrectly
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
On my Nikon D7100 when I choose the variable "frame" to be reported in info text, I get crazy numbers but NOT the frame number. What gives?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon D7100 frame number {frame} reported incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »
On my Nikon D7100 when I choose the variable "frame" to be reported in info text, I get crazy numbers but NOT the frame number. What gives?

Have you already renamed your images before you used the variable?  It may be that your camera does not support frame numbers in its Nikon Maker Notes and if your filenames have already been renamed then PM cannot infer the frame number from the name.

-Kirk

Offline debrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
When I ingest images I use the following to rename the files....{dats}_{model}_{fnum}
Works fine on NEF files from the D800 or D4 or D3X but on the D7100 ingests, it returns a crazy large number and the numbers are not even in sequence!!

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »
It looks like Nikon changed the formatting of their maker note on the D7100 (actually starting with the D5200).  Up until these models, Nikon used "big endian" (or Motorola) formatting and now they use "little endian" (Intel) format.  For some reason the code was hardwired to use big endian rather than paying attention to the Exif wrapper.  BTW the ExifTool utility also has it hardwired to big endian.

If you take the 38400 and divide by 256 (swapping bytes) then you get the desired 150.

I suspect that if you shot in Hi ISO (e.g. 12,800 or 25,600) or Lo ISO (50) then you would also be seeing a problem with PM and with ExifTool since this was also hardwired to use big endian.

I've made the change and will post a link to the fix after we do some verification.  If you can send us a private message with a high ISO D7100 image that would help.  This would be any ISO > 6400.  We'd like a NEF + JPG pair.  Also, if you could send a Lo 0.3 (80 ISO) NEF + JPG pair that would also help to verify.

Regards,

--dennis

Offline debrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
has the fix been posted yet?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
has the fix been posted yet?

No.  Dennis asked you to send us a couple of specific samples if you can:

Quote from: dennis
If you can send us a private message with a high ISO D7100 image that would help.  This would be any ISO > 6400.  We'd like a NEF + JPG pair.  Also, if you could send a Lo 0.3 (80 ISO) NEF + JPG pair that would also help to verify.

-Kirk

Offline debrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
This is really putting me in a bind.  Have been in isolated parts of Smokies for a few days with no internet and left home thinking I would get a fix to this and come down where I can get service and be okay downloading the fix.  I communicated privately with Dennis several days ago informing him that with the D7100 I could neither do a >6400 ISO NOR an ISO 80 file. his response was never mind, that he had a fix, that he would post before the day was out and that was many days ago!!