Author Topic: copying of RAW images  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
copying of RAW images
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
Why is when I upload RAW images from a MacBook using the software programme Aperture to PhotoMechanic I get an exact copy of the RAW image with a Tiff image. I have tried many different preferences but cannot correct this problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: copying of RAW images
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
Jeff,

Why is when I upload RAW images from a MacBook using the software programme Aperture to PhotoMechanic I get an exact copy of the RAW image with a Tiff image. I have tried many different preferences but cannot correct this problem.

That sounds like an Aperture problem to me.  Photo Mechanic is certainly not creating a TIFF image from your RAW file unless you use the Save As dialog to produce a TIFF from your RAW file.

Since you didn't mention using Save As to create a TIFF file, I suspect it is Aperture that is creating the TIFF file for you.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
I went through the whole system with Apple a few weeks ago. When uploading to a different editing software other than P/M it did not copy images. So no Kirk, not an Aperture problem I don't believe. I'm not actually using the "Save as" command from Aperture. When in Aperture and have the images ready I simply use the "Edit with PhotoMechanic 5" command which is in the "drop down" list of commands in aperture.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
Jeff,

I went through the whole system with Apple a few weeks ago. When uploading to a different editing software other than P/M it did not copy images. So no Kirk, not an Aperture problem I don't believe. I'm not actually using the "Save as" command from Aperture. When in Aperture and have the images ready I simply use the "Edit with PhotoMechanic 5" command which is in the "drop down" list of commands in aperture.

I can tell you for certain that PM will never create a TIFF file because some other app copies a RAW file.  PM only creates a TIFF file if you have selected an image in a contact sheet and choose the Save As command and pick TIFF as the output file format.

What does this 'Edit with Photo Mechanic 5" command do?

Let's solve this once and for all.  Temporarily remove Photo Mechanic from your computer.  Use the "Edit with Photo Mechanic 5" command in Aperture.  Does the TIFF file get created?  If so, then there is no way that PM5 created it since it doesn't exist on your computer.  Put Photo Mechanic 5 back on your computer.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
copying of RAW images
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
Not sure about  Aperture, but it may behave like Capture NX which crates a TIFF from the RAW file so it can export to the "edit with" program in a format that the program can use.

Mick
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Imagenomad

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:49:47 AM »
You can only edit TIFFs and PSDs outside Aperture if "Editing in" another application.

It is not a bug or an Aperture (or PM) "problem"; this is what Aperture does. It will do this even if Photoshop is set up as your external editor.

Aperture itself does the raw conversion as a PIE.

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.